eighty six

"I just can't believe you got me a car. And not just any car- a fucking Range Rover."

"I'm glad to have surprised you, then."

"I'm just in shock. It's not normal for a 21 year old to receive a matte black Range Rover, which was paid in cash, from her 21 year old famous boyfriend."

"Mr. Styles. They're in studio 19. Down the hall to the right." The receptionist directed us as soon as we stepped into the lobby. 

She pushed her breasts together and puckered her lips as we walked past, trying to get Harry's attention. I tried my best not to laugh in her face.

He didn't even notice her at all. I smirked as he pulled me along down the hall. "There are a lot of things that aren't normal in our relationship, wouldn't you agree?"

I shrugged. "Yes, but I told you that I don't like expensive gifts! It makes me feel bad-"

"You need to be flexible to these things, Ad."

"You know what?" I squeezed our interlocked hands, deciding that this was not the battle I wanted to be fighting right now. "It's Christmas. You're about to release this amazing single. I'm thankful that I have an insane boyfriend who would buy me a Range Rover. I love you."

"I love you, too." Harry reached down and pecked my lips before opening the studio door for me.

"Hey, guys!" I exclaimed as we stepped into the room. "Merry Christmas!"

The boys all stood up to greet Harry and I with open arms. Rachel, Lou, Lux, Tom, and a few other members of the boys' team greeted us as well, excited that we, or mostly Harry, were finally here. I

I noticed Louis and Liam's sisters were sitting on the other couch. I knew them vaguely so I decided to go say hello to them as well before plopping on a black leather couch between Harry and Niall, the crew members hovering over a fancy Mac desktop.

"Alright, so we've finished mixing and mastering the song, gotten the copyright registration verified, and have gotten the major radio stations to commit to playing the song worldwide once we make it public." Rachel pursed her lips together, typing something on the computer. "I think it's ready, guys. Let's give it a listen?"

"Come here, sweets." Harry reached out for Lux, who was giggling over a pile of old records. 

After she padded her away over to him, Uncle Harry swooped her up and placed her on his lap. Lux leaned back against his slowly heaving chest, her head cocked to the side.

I felt my heart burst from seeing little Lux in Harry's lap, her tiny mouth pulled into a bright, chipper, smile. I reached over and gingerly poked her chubby rosy cheek, making her giggle.

"We're ready to hear it." Liam agreed.

The song began to blast over the speakers. "I might never be your knight in shining armor. I might never be the one you take home to mother. And I might never be the one who brings you flowers. But I can be the one, be the one tonight..."

I smiled to myself, remembering the night when we were all sitting on their breathtaking balcony and the boys had began to work on the lyrics. Louis had initially been upset about the lyrics, but they sounded gorgeous, and he seemed content with them as well.

When I first saw you, from across the room, I could tell that you were curious...

As the song continued to play, I couldn't help but think about how bizarre it was that I was sitting here right now. Never in a million years would I guess that I would be sitting in a world-class studio, surrounded by my million-dollar celebrity best friends, listening to a song that was about to be released to the public.