81- Nagi

"I... Love him. I love Doflamingo... How can a devil love a human?"

My longtime friend glanced at me with teary-eyed frustration and I sighed.

"Ito, please, you cannot say anything about this to anyone. You know what they'll do if they find out." I told her on a calm, level-headed tone of voice.

Ito groaned and pulled on her ponytails. "I know! I know! But still... When did find out you were in love with Corazon?"

My eyes widened behind my glasses and my cheeks flushed.

Our masters sat below us, side by side as the brothers often did.

When did I realize I that I loved him?

There was just something about the Donquixote brothers that drew you in close and swallowed you down a dark path. A path where every other devil in the world hates you. But you don't care.

Because you're in love.

"I... I don't know." I breathed quickly, ducking my head away from my fellow devil.

Her path was lighter than my own.

Her master knew that she existed; acknowledged her presence and sensed when she was away.

She was the lucky one in our unlucky friendship.

Not only did my master have no knowledge of my existence, but I was Lso to be kept a secret from everyone other than one tiny boy with a terrible illness.

Ito had promised not to tell Doflamingo about my existence, just as we had promised each other never to expose our shared secret.

Our love for these two brothers.

I remembered that day fondly as I stared at my former best friend.

Ito had tears in her eyes as Doflamingo shot down his own brother. My love.

"I'm sorry!" She had screamed over the roaring wind. "Nagi, I'm so sorry!"

But I could not hear her through the haze in my mind.

I turned away from her as the Abyss began slowly pulling me in.

"Nagi! Look at me! Please! Nagi! NAGI!"

I did not cry as I heard her sob. I did not cry as Corazon's eyes now followed me.

I just sat in the snow next to him and cradled his head in my lap.

"Law..." He rasped, the blood gurgling in his throat.

I nodded my head and pushed my glasses further up the bridge of my nose.

"NAGI!"

"I will keep him silent for as long as I can." I told Corazon calmly.

He nodded ever so slightly and closed his eyes, his breath evening out and slowing down.

"NAGI PLEASE!"

I ignored Ito. I ignored the new devil that Trafalgar Law made a contract with as he stood somewhere behind me. I ignored everything.

I only had eyes for him. My darling Corazon.

I stroked his feathery hair as he deteriorated further and kissed his forehead. I created a silent barrier around us and whispered sweet nothings down to him as I felt his body weaken and the pulling grow stronger.

"Nagi..." He finally whispered, his hand grabbing mine. "Thank you."

And then he was gone.

I let out a small shout, the loudest sound I had ever made, as my love passed on. I could still hear Ito's sobs in my head.

The Abyss wrapped me in its warm embrace, as if apologizing for my loss.

But I did not cry. I did not make any noise at all.

I had done my job... And I was calm.

{Nagi-Nagi no Mi (Calm-Calm Fruit)}