~19~

Melissa had came back in time for dinner. The Horan family were seated in the dining room, dinner being served by the maids of the house. Melissa took a seat across from Niall which made Maura look at Niall with a worried glance. 

Niall pursed his lips, moving his seat closer to the table. Dinner wasn't awkward, just between Niall and Melissa. She was ignoring him, talking to the other members of the family and never once looking at Niall. Niall avoided her as well, wanting to desperately walk out of the room.

He wasn't much hungry either after the talk he had with his mum. 

The feeling in his chest was still there, not showing signs of disappearing soon. He felt guilty, his shoulders felt like they were being weighted down by the secrecy he held inside of him. 

Niall glanced up to look at Melissa for a moment, noticing how bored she looked. For a moment, he imagined what his life would be if he did marry her. He was sure Melissa would want to go somewhere else other than New York, meaning he would have to pack up and leave. Which meant also leaving Harry. 

No.

He couldn't do it.  

He didn't want to marry her if it meant being separated from Harry. He didn't even want to be with her. 

"Niall? Honey are you okay?" Maura asked, noticing her son's silence. 

Niall shook his head, getting up from the chair. He decided to make an escape now while he could. There was too much tension in the room and he wasn't sure if he could make it all throughout dinner. "Please excuse me."

Without waiting for a response, Niall quickly walked out of the dining room and sprinted his own room. After entering the safety and comfort of his room, he flopped down on the bed, taking out his phone and looking for Harry's contact number. 

His finger hovered over Harry's name for a moment.

After thinking hard about it, Niall sighed, switching his phone off and tossing it somewhere on the bed. 

-x-

"Harry!" Gemma hugged her younger brother tightly once he was home. Harry hugged her back, deeply missing the comfort his sister brought to him. 

"Hey Gem. How have you been?" Harry asked her after they pulled away. Gemma told him everything was okay and that she was doing fine. Apparently she was seeing someone and by the way she spoke of him, Harry could assume things between them were going great. 

At least one of them had a chance for a relationship.

"Harry, you can take your things upstairs to your room. Robin will be here soon," Anne said, smiling brightly at her son. Harry nodded and grabbed his bags, carrying upstairs to the second floor of his house. He missed the place.

When Harry entered his room, it looked exactly the way it looked the last time he visited. A few years back, when he was about to leave to New York, he had taken down his posters from his teen years and recolored his whole room. He also moved the furniture around just so the room seemed more 'mature'.  

Once he stuff was set down, Harry took a few minutes to check his phone. He didn't seem to have any notifications from anyone else except Liam and Lacey who replied to him when he messaged them that he had just landed.

Shaking his head, Harry turned off his phone, putting it on his nightstand. He couldn't think about Niall throughout his whole visit. He couldn't. But he also couldn't help it. After Louis told him about Niall taking his girlfriend with him, it's been bothering Harry ever since. 

The fact that Niall and his girlfriend probably do it every year makes it even worse. 

It makes Harry feel bad for ruining what seemed to be a good relationship. 

But then again, Louis also said that Niall felt the way he should feel with his girl with Harry. Did that mean Niall possibly liked Harry more? 

The door downstairs had opened and shut, meaning someone was home. Harry left his room, walked down the stairs, and smiled at Robin, who had just arrived. 

"Harry! It's good to have you back. I've missed you," Robin chuckled, opening his arms for a hug. Harry gladly gave Robin a hug and a pat on the back before pulling away. 

"So have I. How have things been?" Harry asked. 

"Same old. What about you? I see that you still haven't brought a boy home," Robin tapped his chin, giving Harry a teasing smile. Harry chuckled, shaking his head. He was certainly blessed to be with a family that happily accepted him for who he was. 

He's been grateful to them for understanding ever since he came out years before. 

"There's nothing serious at the moment but I'll make sure to tell you first when it happens."

"Of course. You also have to bring him here so I could have a proper talk with him, if you catch my drift. Speaking about that, I still need to meet Gemma's boyfriend," Robin raised his voice on the last part, smiling when he heard Gemma yell that she was still working on it.

"I'll back you up on that," Harry replied. 

Robin patted Harry's back, laughing and telling him once again it was great to have him back. 

He missed his family so much. 

-x-

"What was that about?" Melissa asked, putting her hands on her hips. 

"What?" Niall asked, furrowing his eyebrows. He was confused to what Melissa was asking about. Still, she was the last person Niall wanted to talk to right now. 

"You left the room in the middle of dinner. Do you know how awkward it was afterwards?"

"It was already awkward even before I left the room. Don't act like you didn't notice," Niall scoffed. He couldn't believe he was being blamed again. It might have been partially his fault but it also wasn't completely his fault. 

Melissa sighed, sounding irritated as she closed her eyes, rubbing her temples. "I specifically told you Niall that we wouldn't fight on this trip. I'm really trying here."

"Oh really?" Niall questioned. "Doesn't seem like it."

"I am! I really am. It's not my fault that you seem to be caught up with something else," Her tone suddenly went quiet and serious. "What is catching your attention Niall?"

"Nothing is!" Niall lied. "I'm just tired."

"Of course," She chuckled darkly. "Yes, of course. Another excuse."

Rolling his eyes, Niall turned away from Melissa. 

"Excuses, excuses," Melissa spoke. "Excuses are for liars, Niall."

Niall closed his eyes. 

I know. 

~

We are almost getting into the action. I'm excited!!

If you had to choose like a theme song for the story, what would it be?

I need songs to listen to while I write haha :)

-Skyxo