~44~

Niall stared at the apartment door in front of him. When he had gotten out of his shower earlier, he had found out that he had a new message from Melissa after finding Harry staring at Niall's phone angrily. Niall couldn't help but kiss Harry's cheek and making sure to tell him that he found Harry's jealousy cute.

"I'm not jealous! Just go already!" Harry had turned away, embarrassed.

Niall managed to cheer him up a little before he left. Honestly, Harry had nothing to worry about. 

Yet here was Niall, worrying what would happened once he was on the other side of the door in front of him. He had no choice but to find out. 

Niall briefly knocked on Melissa's door before waiting a few moments until it opened up. Melissa told him to come in after peeking through the door's crack to see if it was really him. She seemed ready to go, having already been dressed and her luggage sitting by the door. 

"We are already a bit late so if you want to make it in time we should get going right now," Niall mentioned. 

"Yeah. . ." Melissa closed the door slowly. Her face seemed grim and there was obviously something bothering her. Niall knew her decent enough to know that it was something serious. 

"What's wrong?" Niall asked. 

"My flight doesn't leave for another 45 minutes," She looked at Niall with a sorry expression. "I just said it was leaving so soon so you would come immediately. I really need to talk to you before I leave."

"Alright," Niall answered in an unsure voice. 

Melissa motioned for Niall to sit down in the living room. Niall did what he was asked to do. He sat on one of the couches, leaving enough space between them. Melissa sat at a good distance away from Niall to show that she had somewhat good intentions. 

"I'm leaving for LA earlier than we had planned. I know that we aren't going to LA together for the modeling situation so I decided to change the plans for myself only so you won't have to be bothered with the work."

"Oh," Niall said when there was a pause 

"But then I thought that it was you who helped me get this opportunity so it would only be fair if you would like to still give it to me or cancel it," Melissa lowered her head, her eyes still on Niall. "I wouldn't blame you if you decided to cancel it."

Niall nodded, followed by a frowned. He needed time to process what Melissa had just said. He took a few minutes to think about it. Although, there was nothing to really think about since Niall had already made his decision from the start. He wasn't going to be a jerk now. 

"It's your opportunity now Melissa. You can go ahead and do it, I won't mind it, I promise," Niall shrugged and smiled. "It's not like I'm going to do it instead. I can't model, that's Louis' thing."

Melissa cracked a smile before hugging Niall tightly. 

Niall was caught off guard, surprised by the gesture. He awkwardly embraced her back, showing and feeling nothing romantic between them. This was simply an act of acquaintances. 

"Oh, sorry," Melissa quickly pulled away and brushed the few hair strands falling forward in front of her face away. "I didn't mean to do that. I just got so excited and happy."

"It's okay," Niall nodded again. 

"Oh! I almost forgot," Melissa got up and left the room. She came back with a nice, light blue envelope. Melissa looked it over as if to check for any flaws before giving it to Niall. "That's for Louis. It's just me apologizing to him for being really rude and kind of a brat. I  wanted to thank him personally too for mentoring me but I doubt he wants to see me."