~20~

"What is going on? I'm worried about you two." 

"I don't know. He's distant now."

"What do you mean by that?"

"Something is on his mind and it's definitely not me."

-x-

Christmas day soon came. It was probably one of the most cheerful holidays of the year. It was something exciting, something happy. 

Melissa had left the day before, leaving Niall with his family members. Things have been tensed but Niall felt like he could take a breather once she left. He felt bad but it was true. 

He had sent Harry a few texts the day before, asking him how things are for him. 

Harry seemed to be having a good time, which is all Niall needed to get throughout the day. 

"Denise! Come help me!" Maura's voiced was heard from the kitchen. Denise quickly got up and walked out of the large living room, giving Niall a smile. He was holding on to Theo, who was currently playing with one of his new toys he had unwrapped that morning. 

"You like your new toy, bud?" Niall smiled because he bought the toy for Theo. Theo giggled, putting his small hand on Niall's cheek before turning his attention back on the toy. Niall let Theo down to play with his toy on the floor as he sat back on the couch. 

His phone suddenly started ringing. Taking out the phone, Niall quickly answered it to silence it.

"Hello?"

"Hi Niall. Sorry for calling but," Louis sounded annoyed. "I checked my email this morning and it seems the company is giving Melissa an audition for the modeling thing."

"Oh really? When?" Niall questioned. 

"It's in February," Louis paused. "You know. . . we can always not tell her."

"Louis," Niall warned, rubbing his tired face. "Forward the email to me. I'll check it out later to start preparing everything. I doubt there's much to do though."

"Yeah, I'm forwarding it right now. But the thing is. . . the audition is in L.A."

"What?" Niall sat up. "Why?"

"I don't know. You might have to stay there for the minimum 3 weeks or so. Maybe even more, it really just depends on the audition."

"That's fine I guess. I'll see what I can do," Niall looked down at Theo, who was staring at him with little wide blue eyes. "Thanks Lou. Have a good Christmas."

"You too. Bye."

Niall hung up and put his phone away. He threw his head back on the couch, looking up at the high ceiling. He didn't know what to do. He didn't want to go with Melissa but it's almost obligatory to go with her. 

"Who was that?" Maura came in with two mugs, giving one to Niall. Niall took it, giving a moment to frown the mug. It was a light blue mug with a simple design of a cute girl and boy holding hands. 

"Louis," Niall replied, setting the mug down on the coffee table. He was careful not to spill any on Theo, who was currently sitting between his legs, still on the floor. He seemed too concentrated in his toy to care, really. 

"You seemed surprise about something," Maura sipped her drink. "Drink up honey."

Niall reluctantly grabbed the mug and took a small sip, not really feeling the drink. The only reason he was going to drink it was because his mum wanted him too. 

"Yeah. Um, Louis and I have been helping Melissa get a modeling audition," Niall stared at the liquid inside his mug, not being able to see his reflection.