Chapter 6

Chapter 6
Ariel.

Weeks had flown ever since the day my stepmother had given me a small slither of hope of going to The Alpha's Ball (the most prestigious werewolf party ever in case you've forgotten), and ever since then, I had been as good as I could. I had very few detentions at school and did everything I was asked of correctly and without hesitation. I was on my best behaviour. And only because I wanted to go so my friends wouldn't brag about it to my face.

My excitement had grown as the time until the ball became shorter and shorter. But it wasn't just the ball I was excited about- the same day was also my birthday. You would think that I would hate my life and that I despise celebrating the day I was brought into this world- well, you guessed wrong. I actually love my birthday, and the fact that I was turning sixteen this year was an added bonus to the event.

I can't wait for it!

There are a few reasons why I'm looking forward to my birthday.

One: My friends treat me amazingly on my birthday like I'm some sort of Queen or something amazing and higher up than I am. They always make it a great day for me.

Two: I turn sixteen- meaning that there's a small chance that I could get away from my cruel, horrible servant life.

And three: I can finally sense my mate (if it turns out that I actually have one) better than I ever have before.

As you grow older after gaining your wolf and the ability to shift if you haven't found your mate yet, your abilities to sense them grow stronger. If you get to a certain point in your life when you haven't found your mate, you have the right to seek out the assistance of somebody who will track your mate down for you. For Alphas, Betas and Omegas, the age before you can ask for help is 18, but most go close to their sixteenth birthday so they can figure out the whereabouts of their love, as they have responsibilities to their packs and need their mates by their sides.

The Alpha's Ball will be extra special for me this year. It only happens in this town every seventy years, so the chances of me finding my mate (I still don't know if I have one or not) are quite high. I hope I do, I want to escape the dreaded household as fast as I can. I can't bear to stay there for any longer. If it turns out that there is no soul out there matched to mine, I will break inside and die from the pain- the pain is like that which occurs when one soul is rejected by another.

My friends were ecstatic about me being able to go. I told them, and they were so happy that I could go. They said we would have the best time of our lives. It was until they mentioned that we would all go at the same time, where I had to break the news.

My stepmother had personally told me that if I was to go, I would make sure all of my chores were done. And even if I did do that, I was forbidden to get a ride with them. I was told to either walk, ride one of the horses, or receive a lift from one of my friends.

On top of that, I had to make sure that the town council got as much help as they needed, so I had to volunteer for that to make the family look good. Marriages and matings and such. How ridiculous is that? Arranged marriages suck! Why would they bother doing such things to innocent creatures with mates out there that need them- beings like me.

Doing this would result in a small number of punishments from Freya for me. It didn't mean they'd stopped altogether, it just meant that they would

And it wasn't just Freya's behaviour towards me that had changed too.

The weather had significantly gotten colder, the wind grew bitter, and frost grew on the grass in the early morning. Winter was upon us. Soon, the snow would come down in frozen waterfalls of fluff, and that would add to my chores. Ploughing out the snow so that we could all get out safely without it falling on top of us. No matter how hilarious it would be, I couldn't take any chances. Not just yet anyway. Perhaps after the event, I would attempt to freeze Freya, sort of like Han Solo being put into the carbonite thing.