Chapter 18

Chapter 18
Ariel.

                  I kept running.

I couldn't stop running. There is was no way I could stop, not with the amount of danger that followed me wherever I went. I caused distractions, went in different directions to lead them off of my trail, I did everything I could possibly do to stop them from following me. I would never stop, not until they had stopped trailing me for good.

I didn't stop until I knew it was safe, and that no one was following me. That was how it went, not until they stopped following me all of a sudden.

Accalia used her senses as I ran to see if there was any danger surrounding us. Her sense of smell was excellent, and could detect wolves from miles away. She gave me the all clear, meaning no one was around us, so I stopped for a little while to rest and saw something that I hadn't seen in years.

A willow plant with small buds sprouting off it. Fuzzy, soft, little birds. It brought back a lot of memories for me... Happy memories...

And maybe some sad memories...

Almost Twelve Years Ago...

I was playing in the forest with my father. I wasn't that old, I was only four or five, I can't remember.

I was messing around by some of the trees, watching the small pixies dance with graceful motions, giggling while they flew around. They were beautiful creatures, I sometimes wish I could fly. It would be so fun! I think I'd love to be a Griffin, or a Thunderbird.

"Daddy? What is that?" I pointed to the little branches with fluffy, soft buds sticking out like a rabbit's fuzzy tail. It was pretty, I liked it a lot. It felt nice in my hands. I held one of the fuzzy things out to him, curious to know what it was.

"It's a willow plant sweetheart. These little fuzzy things are called catkins. It's flexible and the willow tree is one of the few trees that doesn't break easily- this is a powerful meaning for those of us that are seeking recovery or a spiritual path. The message of the willow tree is to adjust with life, rather than fighting it, surrendering to the process. The willow reminds us to let go and to surrender completely to our innermost selves and to gain a deeper understanding of our subconscious. Another powerful symbolic meaning of the willow tree is its adaptability, the willow tree's ability to not only survive, but also thrive in some of the most challenging conditions. We can also look at how the willow tree encourages the expression of deep emotions, including grief and sadness through tears and teaching us the value and consequences of love and loss. One of the greatest symbolic meanings of the willow tree is that even through great loss we have the ability to grow and there is potential for something new."

"Is that why my middle name is Willow?"

"Yes, sweetheart. That's why. Because when your mummy and I first saw you, we knew that you were strong enough to survive anything that life put you through. We knew that no matter what happened, you would always be strong. We knew that if we died one day, you would still get through it. You're strong, little Ari, and know that we all love you no matter what. There will always be someone out there that will help and protect you, that will love you no matter what. Just remember that, little one. Even when your Mummy and I leave you."

"You won't die yet, though, will you Daddy?"

"No, Sweetheart. We will live for many years. We won't leave you until you're ready for us to leave you."

"I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too, Sweetheart."

Suddenly, the ground shook, the tremors so violent they could knock buildings down. A deathly growl was heard, sending shivers down my spine. I screamed so hard when a terrifying beast jumped at-

I pulled myself out of the memory. It ends in a way I don't like to remember.

That terrifying beast haunts my darkest nightmares. The nightmares about my parents.

All dreams about parents and family should be pleasant, but none of mine are.

Mine mainly revolve around their death and other twisted memories like that one before, but the worst always happens when I try to drag myself out of it. Sometimes they become twisted, and it's different people. Most of them recently have been about Jacob dying right in front of me, and there I am, helpless. I'm always unable to help him.

I don't think I can ever face Jacob again. I don't think I'll be able survive it, and here's why:

The look in his eyes before I jumped out the window, it was full of pain and heartbreak. I don't know how he reacted to it and I don't think I want to know. I know he's hurting from all of my actions and I can't stand it either. From what everyone has told me, he didn't want to reject me and I can understand that.

But I can't be with him.

I know that my stepmother needs our strong bond and me going into heat for whatever she's planning. I can't let that happen. I asked Mason to keep a close eye on Isabella so that when their child is born he or she won't be stolen. I've made sure that Isaac will protect Isabella from Freya. I've even asked him to help keep Jacob out of my way until Freya's out of the picture. And to make sure that he's okay if anything bad happens to me while sorting Freya out.

I want him to be fine. Well, as fine as he possibly can be after losing his mate.

I can't bring myself to reject Jacob, though. I just can't.

I hope he understands that he needs to reject me for both of our sakes.

But I don't have the heart to tell him.

Oh, Moon Goddess.

What should I do?

SSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPPPPPPPP?!

Hiya!

Ariel's a bit stupid isn't she? And haunted.

Just a note: Rob, Lexi, Isaac, Ashley, Alice, Seren and Amethyst have no mates. Yet. ;)

I'm excited for the next two chapters, they're the last! O.O

HAPPY LATE BIRTHDAY KALINA!!!!

James Bay/Bae is above, his songs inspire a few of these chapters ahead.

Question: Who is/are your favorite character/s?

My Answer: Amethyst, Lexi, Ashley and Robert. They're all so amazing. Amethyst has so much mystery, Lexi is the mamma and shipper of #Jariel, Ashley is just cool af and Rob is sexy af!