Chapter 41

Chapter 41
Jacob.

Pain.

That's all I could feel. Everything hurt. It all hurt so much. It was like a thousand silver knives jabbing at my heart and clawing at my skin. I wanted it to stop. I was desperate for it to stop. I needed it to stop. Soon.

But it wouldn't stop.

Ariel...

I needed Ariel...

"Jacob... Go... Run... Get out of here... I don't want... Anything to happen... To you..." She groaned out, trying to persuade me to get out or something bad would happen.

But, like an idiot, I refused.

If only I had known better...

"No," I replied stubbornly. "Ariel, as your mate, I demand to know what is going on!"

But it was too late.

She was forced to reject me.

"I-I-I, Ariel Willow Black, reject you, Alpha Jacob Alexander Prince... As my m-m-mate and Alpha..." She struggled when she did so, fighting off whatever was taking over.

And the pain hit me after that.

The two of us fell to the ground, far apart from each other.

The pain was burning, like someone was setting my insides on fire. My mark heated up, shots of agony crawling and coursing through my veins. It gnawed at my heart, sharp, punishing and splitting. It sickened me. It was too much. I couldn't stand it. It felt like something was ripping my next apart where her mark rested.

"A-A....A-Ariel..." I tried to get to her, to hold onto her and tell her that we were still together. So that I could believe she wasn't really gone. So I could believe she hadn't done the one thing I dreaded her doing.

But she was gone.

The pain was a reminder of that. It hurt too much. I couldn't bear it. She was gone.

So she stood up and got away from me, afraid to hurt me more than she already had. No matter what, I would still love her.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Jacob... Forgive me."

And with that, she ran away from me yet again.

She rejected me.

She rejected me.

SHE REJECTED ME!

My wolf howled out in sadness at what our mate had done. But deep down, we knew it wasn't really Ariel.

It was all because of Freya. Stupid Freya! Fuck you Freya! She forced Ariel to reject me.

She rejected me. I... I can't live with it. It's too much.

"Jake? Jake? Are you alright? Jacob, can you hear me?!" A female voice called out to me.

Could it really be her?

"Ari? Is that you? I'm so sorry about earlier, I didn't mean anything. I don't accept your rejection, Ari. I love you so much, Ariel. I'll never ever let you go again... I love you... I love you..."

"Jake? It's me. Lexi. Your friend, remember? Not Ariel. I don't know where she is, Jake. She's not here. What happened to you?"

"L-Lexi? W-W-What are y-you doing here?" I stammered, not being able to get any words out.