Insane Doesn't Even Begin to Cover It... Chapter 15

At some point in the next hour or two, Caden gets up and starts pacing. Lifting my head up off of my pillow, I look at him.

He looks… frazzled to say the least.

And his movements are making me dizzy.

Scowling, I pick up my pillow and throw it at him, hitting him square in the face.

“What the fuck?!” He shouts at me and I glare at him. We have a stare down for a few seconds and then his gaze softens and he sighs, dropping down onto his bed. “Sorry.” He says, and runs a hand through his hair.

Rolling my eyes, I fall back onto my bed, and gradually let myself fall asleep. Hopefully the headache will go away… hopefully.

******

-flashback-

“Kid, you gotta get off now.”

I look up at the man in front of me, he’s looking at me like I’m some sort of alien.

Maybe he’s considering taking me to a hospital… I wouldn’t blame him, because of my appearance. I know my shirt has blood on it, and I know my shoes do too.

Silently, I stand up and slowly step off of the bus, standing on the sidewalk. I have no idea where I am.

“Little girl? Come with me, come on.” A woman calls my name and I look towards the voice.

It’s one of the people from the bus…

Wordlessly, I walk over to her. She takes my hand and starts pulling me in some direction. As much as I want to pull away from her steely grasp, I can’t.

As I try to keep up with her brisk pace, I don’t notice where I’m going.

Until we get to the big building. It’s a hospital. Immediately, I freeze, unwilling to walk through those doors.

“Well come on!” She tugs me forward and I follow unwillingly. She practically has to drag me through the doors.

The minute we enter the waiting room, a nurse rushes over, asking what happened.

“She just got on the bus in a town, she was alone and covered in blood-“ the lady starts telling the nurse what she saw, while I’m examining all of the other people in the room.

A few of them are looking at me with barely restrained shock. I guess it’s not every day that they see a young girl covered in blood.

Well that’s their problem, not mine.

“Sweetie? I need you to come with me now. It’s ok.” The nurse takes my hand from the lady and starts walking me somewhere. “My name’s Anna. What’s yours?” She asks, and when I don’t respond, she sighs.

We stop in front of a blank door, and Anna pushes it open to reveal an office.

The first of many psychologist’s offices I’ll be in.

And so starts my life of pills, appointments, doctors and hospitals.

-Flashback over-

I jerk awake, breathing heavily.

“What, what is it?” Caden asks, and I can hear the edge of panic in his voice.

Eyes wide, I look over at him, and he looks back.

I try to take deep breaths, but it’s not working. So, I start holding my breath to calm my heart down. And when that doesn’t work, I start to panic.

“Shh Senna, it’s ok.” Caden comes close to me, almost touching. “Breathe, come on, it’s ok. Nothing’s going to happen, I’m here, it’s ok.” He soothes, and I can see his hand reaching up to touch my shoulder, but he pulls it away at the last second.

He keeps talking to me in his calm voice, and to my surprise, it actually helps. My heart is still racing, but I’m not hyperventilating anymore.

“There. You’re better now. Nightmare I suppose?” He sighs, and stands up. “I’ll be downstairs… you’re probably hungry.”

A few minutes after he leaves, I scoot back until my back is touching the wall, and I pull my knees up to my chest.

Then a thought hits me.

How the hell is he going to get food that isn’t drugged?

*****

I don’t know how long it takes, but eventually Caden is back in the room, holding a plastic bag.

He sets it down on my bed, and then kneels next to it.

“I stole it from the kitchen.” He explains as he dumps all of the food out. I look at it all, and see that this could last for a week at least. “Don’t worry, it’s not drugged.” He says, and I know he’s telling the truth. But still, I watch as he eats an apple, and when he doesn’t start getting dizzy and falling over, I start eating.

I only eat a little, but it makes me feel better. Caden puts the food back in the bag, and then hides it in the corner where no one can see it if they walk in.

Getting up off my bed, I stretch and the grab some of the clothes that the people gave me. Heading out of the room, I go down the hall to take a shower and just get away from people for a while.

******

When I’m done with my shower, I get dressed and walk out into the hall. Instead of going back to my room, I walk the opposite way, down to the other end of the hallway.

I pass the stairs and keep walking.

What the doctors don’t know about this hallway up here, is that it isn’t just a hallway. It’s actually one big…room.

There’s a hallway going all around the building, with different rooms. The doctors don’t know about it because the lights down here always flicker, and they’re afraid to go down there.

I’ve actually heard a few of them talking about how they’ve heard ghosts down here, making creepy noises.

Although I’m pretty sure it’s only the wind coming through the cracks in the glass.

Another thing about this part of the hallway, is that the windows aren’t all there. The glass has been broken during storms and things, and no one’s brave enough to come down here and fix it.

So, I come down here to look out the windows, even though there are bars blocking any chance I might have of escaping.

But that doesn’t bother me, as long as I’m able to at least seesome of the outside world.

Taking my regular place against the wall across from one of the windows, I sink down to the ground. It’s warm outside today, and it’s raining.

Pulling the hood of the jacket they gave me over my head, I look down at the tile under my feet.

The only sounds are that of the rain outside, and the wind coming through the windows.

Soon though, I hear footsteps.

Jerking my head up, prepared to run, I wait for whoever it is to show themselves.

Caden steps out of the slight darkness, and takes a seat next to me quietly.

And just the fact that he doesn’t bother to say anything, makes me feel so much better.