Insane Doesn't Even Begin to Cover It... Chapter 42

Chapter 42:

When I wake up, I just lay there staring at the ceiling for a moment. I’m getting very tired of people poking me with needles, and then waking up in different places. It’s not something I enjoy.

I already know where I am, before I even sit up to look around. I’m on one of the couches in Becca’s office, just as I was that one time before. Sighing, I stretch my arms above my head, ignoring the protesting twinge I get from my arms. Glancing up at them above my head, I see bright new bandages, covering up the mess I’d made before.

Dropping my hands back down, I stand up and shake the sleepiness off, and leave her office. She wasn’t even in there, so there really isn’t any point for me to stay.

Instead of going back to my room, though, I go to the cafeteria to get something to ease my stomach. I still feel a little loopy from whatever they gave me, and I’m also really starving. My stomach rumbles and hurts the whole way there, and doesn’t settle down until I eat an apple and granola bar.

I keep to myself in the cafeteria as usual. It’s almost time for lunch it seems like, and people are gradually making their way into the room, lining up for whatever is being served today. Trying not to make it look like I’m searching for anyone in particular, I stare down at the table. However, I can see Caden enter the room through my peripheral vision, and my heart speeds up a little bit.

Cursing myself, I re-focus my eyes onto my bandages, mentally repeating: He did this to you, he touched you.

Even so, I can’t find it in me to get up and walk off when he sits down across from me. All I can do is keep my eyes on my arms, and refuse to even acknowledge his presence. He seems to understand, and keeps silent while eating, but I can feel him watching me.

I leave the cafeteria when he’s almost done eating, escaping to the Sun Room where I used to spend a lot of my time. I sit in my usual seat and stare out of the windows, avoiding everyone.

I sit like that for the rest of the day, watching the wind blow through the trees outside.

***

When it starts to get a little bit dark outside, I finally get out of the chair and go to dinner. They’re serving some kind of beef stew tonight, with hard bread and cheese. I take what I’m given, though, and sit down at the usual table.

Within seconds, Caden has joined me and this time I actually look at him. He eats for a few minutes before he seems to notice me watching him. But when he does finally notice, he looks up and stares right back at me. Neither of us does anything for a few seconds, then he signs.

“I’m sorry Senna. I honestly didn’t see that it was you when I reached out. I just thought it was someone I was stopping from falling. You didn’t hurt yourself too bad, did you?” He asks, eyeing my bandages. “I saw you being carried out of your room by some doctors. I was really worried but I didn’t want to go see you because I didn’t think that you’d want to see me.” He pauses and I roll my eyes. I hadn’t brought my pen and paper with me, so I couldn’t exactly talk back to him.

He seems a little hurt that I’m not responding to him, so I mime out the fact that I don’t have my pen and paper with me. At first I think he’s not going to get it at first, and then he glances around me and makes an ‘ohhh’ face.

“Do you mind if I come back to your room with you tonight so we can talk?” He asks, and I shrug. He smiles, and we just settle down to eat in silence. I’m a little anxious about being alone in my room with him after he touched me, but I choose wisely and disregard that feeling.

When we get done eating, I lead the way up to my room, my heart beating fast the entire time.

***

Hope you liked it!

Sorry for the late update. I’ve been so stressed out lately. Basically going as insane as Senna.

-Lexi