Insane Doesn't Even Begin to Cover It... Chapter 17

The next few days pass by in a blur, with nothing really important going on. I started ‘seeing’ Griffin again for our sessions, but apparently Dallas and Cade are now on guard duty for the institution. They’re in another wing of the asylum, watching the older patients.  Caden has started seeing Griffin with me, for whatever reason.

I don’t think Griffin really liked the change but he can get over it. For some reason I feel a little bit better when Caden is around.

Right now, we’re heading to one of our ‘sessions’ together.

“I don’t really like this ‘Griffin’ guy…’” Caden says indignantly as we turn down the hallway towards Griffin’s office.

I sigh and I he takes that as an agreement. He’s started to understand the noises I make to say yes and no and all that.

“He just gets on my nerves… Always trying to pry into things that he has no business knowing… I mean sure he’s a psychiatrist but he gets a little bit too into our lives, doesn’t he?” I sigh again and he grimaces. “Sometimes I wish you would just speak or something, instead of just sighing or grunting or whatever… But I understand.” He’s quiet for a while after that, until we get to the office.

Caden knocks once and the door immediately opens, and then Griffin is grinning down at us.

“Ah Caden and Senna, right on time…”

I wish he wouldn’t call us by our first names, he hasn’t earned that right yet.

“Come on in.” He motions us in and I frown, following Caden.

We sit in the two leather armchairs in front of Griffin’s desk and Griffin sits in his chair.

“Now, at our last session, Senna… didn’t say anything as usual. But Caden got a little agitated at my questions. We didn’t get to go into great detail as to why that is, Caden, so why don’t you start telling me now.”

I glance over at Caden, who is now glaring at Griffin.

Uht oh.

“Well now Griffin I suppose I got just a little bit majorly pissed off because you were prying into things that don’t need to be pried into. So please just fucking back off and leave my past alone. I don’t need anyone to know what happened.” Caden says indignantly, then leans back in his chair.

“…Okay well we’ll get back to you later. Now on to Senna. Senna, why won’t you at least try to say something, just a word or two?”

I just stare at him. He’s really stupid. Asking a question to a girl who is not going to talk. Idiot alert!

“Senna you have to talk at some point, you can’t stay silent forever.” He gets quiet and then just stares at me and I stare back. After a minute, he focuses his attention on Caden again. “Now Caden, I’m sure you don’t know about Senna’s past do you? Why she’s here, all that? Well Senna was born to Emily and John Montgomery. She was a month and a half premature. She had to stay in the hospital for a while before she could go home. Senna and her family lived in a small town that nearly no one knows about.

“When Senna was nearly one year old, she tripped and fell into the pool in her backyard, nearly drowning herself. Her dog, Princess, pulled her out before she died. Her parents then closed off the pool from her so it wouldn’t happen again. Things were okay until her third birthday when Princess was shot by hunters. Senna cried for days after that. She got over it though.

“She hasn’t had a pet since. At her fifth birthday party, she fell down the stairs and broke her leg- “

Griffin stops talking and nearly falls backwards as the book I threw at him hits him square in the face.

I’m pissed. Very, very pissed.

Standing up, I get right up in his face, almost touching him but not. I stare straight at him for a few minutes, while my hands are searching for something on his desk. He doesn’t notice what I’m doing.

Finding what I want, I take the letter opener and pick it up, then bring it down in one swift move.

“HOLY FUCK!” He yells, trying to yank his hand away, but I keep digging the letter opener into his hand, watching the blood run and stain the papers on the desk.

“Sen! SEN! SENNA!” Caden yells, and I let go, turning to look at him. “Lets leave.” He turns towards the door and opens it, leaving the room. I follow after him, calmly.

“YOU NEED TO BE LOCKED UP SOMEWHERE YOU BITCH! YOU’RE PSYCHO! DAMMIT!” Griffin yells after us, and I only smirk, following behind Caden as we go up to our cell.

I already am locked up.

And I know I’m crazy, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Whatever keeps me alive and doesn't turn me into one of those mindless sheep-like patients here... Is something I need.

And so far this is working.