Insane Doesn't Even Begin to Cover It... Chapter 20

He motions to her and then gets up and leaves without another word. I stand there in silence, staring at the spot between their two chairs.

“I’m guessing your name is Senna. Well, I’m not going to make you sit here with me right now, I can tell you don’t want to. So why don’t you go do whatever you were doing before, and I’ll just schedule an appointment with you for next week sometime? That should work… I think we both need some time before we meet each other officially.” She says and at that I turn and walk out of the room, without hesitation.

I almost speed walk up to my room, and when I get in, I see that Caden isn’t there. That might have worried me at some point in time, but at the moment I don’t give a fuck.

Sitting on the edge of my cot, I stare around the room. At the rod sticking out of the wall with all of the frayed wires, from when I knocked out the camera… they haven’t come to fix it… At the messy side of the room that’s Cadens… he apparently doesn’t know how to make a bed. Rolling my eyes, I get up and decide to get something productive done.

I might be in a cell, but that doesn’t mean that I can’t at least make it look nice. I do have to live in it after all.

Stripping mine and Caden’s bed of their sheets and blankets, I take them down to the laundry room that I was in the other night, and shove them into a washing machine. I look around the room, and surprisingly, on the table in the middle, I see a brand new box of laundry detergent and dryer sheets. My eyes get a little wide and I look around, almost expecting some fairies or unicorns to appear to show that I’m hallucinating.

But nothing like that happens, and it seems like those items really are real. I’ve never had anything really new in this place, nor has anyone ever taken the thought into mind to make my stay here easier, in fact they all seem to want to make it harder. So yes, this, even though it is SO simple that it shouldn’t even matter, is a big deal to me.

Biting my lip, I use the laundry detergent and sit in the room until the sheets and blankets are done washing, before transferring them to the dryer. Once they’re done there, I take them out and walk back to the cell, hurridly putting them back on the beds, just the way they should be. I straighten up a few more things, and finish JUST as Caden walks into the room.

At first he doesn’t notice, and I’m just standing in the middle of the room, awkwardly. He goes over to his bed and sits down, then looks at me.

“Oh…hey… I didn’t see you there…” He says quietly. Looking around for a second, he looks back at me, kind of confused. “Um… did you do something different with the room…?”

I roll my eyes and almost groan, falling down onto my cot face first.

“I was just in a session with Griffin… he’s such a douche…” Caden starts, and I don’t stop him in any way, listening to him vent on and on about his session and how I wasn’t there and all of this stuff.

I understand the need to vent about things… It helps. If you do it in a productive way that is.

After a while he stops and gets quiet and we stay that way until a buzzer sounds that makes me jump. I sit up and look around, just as the lights shut off.

“Lights out.” A loud voice says, over the intercoms outside in the hallway.

I guess this is a new system they have…

I lay back down and curl up under my freshly clean sheets, and they actually smell good this time… other than that weird dryer smell…

That night, I fall asleep fast, even though my thoughts are going a mile a minute.