Part 14

I slowly open my eyes to the light streaming in through the window. I stare at the ceiling, looking to my right, freezing as my eyes settle on something I wish I'd never seen.

Oh my god. Why is Lovino in my bed? And why is he shirtless?!

I hold my breath, trying not to wake him as I look him over. His arm was under my head, cushioning it. His muscular arms flex as he sleeps, his bare chest pressed against my clothed one. I attempt to silently slip out of his arms, but I woke him.

"Oi," he whispers, pulling me back down. "Why are you up so early?"

I look at the clock and sigh. "It's eleven-thirty."

"Meh," he shrugs, pulling me closer and hiding his face in my hair. "Not ready to get up."

"Well, I want to!" I blush against his skin. "A-And why are you shirtless?"

I feel his chest rise and fall as he laughs. "Why? Don't you remember?"

I catch my breath in my throat, heart pounding. "W-What's that supposed to mean?!"

"Last night," he whispers into my ear as he caresses my thigh, "You fell asleep, so I drove you home. You were still sleepy when we arrived, so I carried you in." I listen as my body begins to feel hot as his hand traces closer and closer to my hips. "When I set you down and tried to leave, you grabbed my shirt, and begged me not to. I said I wouldn't, and you pulled me in to bed with you."

"Then what happened?" I gulp.

"Everything else is history," he smirks before pressing his lips to my forehead. He watches as my eyes begin well up.

W-We did it?!

I cover my face with my hands and he bursts out laughing. "Damn, ragazza! You're reactions are priceless!" He falls off the bed as he clutches his stomach. I look down at him in confusion, tilting my head. "Look: we didn't do anything. I simply laid down 'cuz you didn't wanna be alone. I took my shirt off cuz it was hot as hell and you wouldn't let me go so I could turn the fan on."

"I-I see," I avert my gaze, embarrassed by my sleep behavior. "I'll make sure that never happens again."

"What are you so upset about?" He questions. "Did you really dislike the thought of, you know, us?"

I hesitate, thinking of my answer. I look back at him with blushing cheeks. "I-It's not the thought that we did it that upset me," I whisper, "It's the thought that I couldn't remember..."

His glare instantly ceases to exist, and he stands up, wrapping me in his arms. I embrace his chest as he places his chin on my head. "H-Hey, Lovino?"

"Hm?"

"I think," I pause, scared to continue. He rubs my back to encourage me, "Go on."

I nod my head and complete my sentence. "I think I'm in love with you." The instant the words leave my mouth, Lovino retracts his arms and steps away from me. His facial expression looks at me in horror. He grabs his shirt and runs from my room. I listen in shock as I hear him run out of my house, slamming the door behind him. With my emotions are crushed, I fall back on to my bed. "What a mistake..." I cover my eyes, which threatened to overflow with tears, with a pillow, regretting my decision.