Part 38

I hang up the phone and I sit there, frozen in the spot. "(Name)?" I look up, and see a blurry image of a shocked Lovino. "What's wrong?"

"M-My brother..." My lips quiver and my shoulders tremble, tears stream down my cheeks. "He might be dying..."

"What?!" Lovino wraps his arms around my shoulders, pulling me tightly to his chest. "That's horrible..."

"My grandmother didn't give me all the details, but she told me it's bad. My other brother is working hard to provide money for Emil's hospital stay, but it just isn't enough!" I hastily stand up and break free from Lovino's comforting embrace. "I'm going back."

Lovino trails after me in shock. "But I don't want you to go-"

"Look, Lovino!" I yell and whip around to face him. "You did the same exact thing to me when Feliciano was sick! For you to do it, it's ok; but for me to do it, it's wrong?!"

"That's not what I meant, idiota!"

"The only difference is that I'm the one who told you," I whisper with gritted teeth and tears flowing down my cheeks. "I wasn't a coward."

I walk into the house with heavy steps. "(Name), what's wrong?" Feliciano grasps my shoulder. I look back at him, and he takes away his hand, placing it on my cheek. "What happened?"

"N-Nothing," I place my hand on his, and gently remove it. "I have to go." I depart from the confused Feliciano, and make my way to Lovino's room to pack all of my stuff.

Don't you dare die, Emil. I forbid you to die.

I sob my heart out as I buy my ticket and stuff all of my clothes into my suitcase, zipping it closed. A knock sounds from the door, and I freeze. "Y-Yes...?" I choke.

"Is everyzhing alright?" Ludwig comes through the door after he peeks in slightly.

I nod and avert my gaze. "Yea, everything's just great."

"I understand you need a ride to zhe airport?"

My gaze shoots to him, and he flashes a sympathetic smile. I run over to him and throw my arms around his neck, burying my tear stained face into his chest. "Thank you so much!" He pays my head and I release him so I can grab my suitcase. We walk downstairs, and no one is to be found.

Perfect.

We hop into the car, and begin the drive to the airport. Ludwig waits with me in the main section as I await my time to go through security. "Vould you mind if ve exchanged numbers?" He asks nervously.

"Of course not," I try my best to smile as I take out my phone. "I've been meaning to ask you for it, anyways."

We switch phones and put in our contact info in. After He hands me my phone, I see he also added another number. "Feliciano."

"Ja," he chuckles as he blankly stares at his screen. "He vas in tears vhen he told me how broken you vere."

"I'll be sure to call him once I'm in America," I pat Ludwig's shoulder.

"Flight 5367 is now ready for boarding."

"Oh, that's my flight," I take my suitcase in my hand and press my cheek against the tall German's chest. "Take care of Feliciano and Lovino for me, and make sure Toni and Emma get all the support they need for their baby."

"I vill vizh mein life," he ruffles my hair and gives me a gentle push in the direction of my gate and security. "Go on."

I begin to walk, and I look back at Ludwig one more time. He smiles and waves slightly, standing in silence. I make it through security, and check in at my gate. I silently walk down the long hallway to the entrance of the plane, my eyes to the ground.

Am I making a mistake...? No. Emil needs me.

I sit in the back of the plane, my eyes directed out the window. "Excuse me, is this seat taken?" I look up to see a blonde man with striking green eyes smiling down at me.

I shake my head. "No, you can sit."

"Thanks, love!" He places his bags in the overhang and takes a seat next to me. "I'm Arthur. What's your name?"

"(Name)," I say, grasping his outstretched hand. "Nice to meet you, Arthur."

"Likewise, (Name)," he nods and he takes out a book, beginning to read the small print as he reaches into his bag and pulls out a pair of glasses.

I lean my forehead against the window, my heart half expecting for Lovino to come running across the pavement, begging for me to stay. But as the plane lifts into the air-

-I realized that feeling of anticipation was just a sick fantasy.