Part 32

Lovino and I just laid there together for what seemed like hours. It was more like ten minutes. We couldn't lay there long, due to the growling monstrosities we call our stomachs. When we finally decided to get up, we walked down to the kitchen. "Oi! Why aren't you cutting up anymore tomatoes?" Lovino storms into the kitchen, scolding Feliciano. The younger Italian just stares at the bowl of spaghetti sauce. Just as I was about to stop Lovino, Ludwig taps my shoulder, and pulls my hand, forcing me out the front door. "Can I talk to you in private, (Name)?"

"S-Sure!" My body tenses up, and I sigh a shaky breath. "Am I in trouble?"

"Nein..." Ludwig smiles gratefully and begins to walk faster, and I quietly follow after him. We make our way to the fountain, and sit on the edge. "What did you want to talk about?"

He stares at the ground, gritting his teeth. "Y-You don't love Feliciano, do you?"

"Huh?"

"It hurts me more zhan you can imagine to see him being kissed by someone who is more suited for him zhan me." No sounds came from us; only the wind acted as the source keeping us together.

After a slight pause, I break the silence. "You really love him, huh?"

Ludwig nods his head slowly, clenching his fists. "I don't know vhy. He's just so innocent, smart, and cheerful, vhile I'm nozhing like zhat."

"It's ok!"

"No, it's not!" Tears of frustration fill his eyes, and he pounds his fist on the fountain, slightly cracking the rock.

"Ludwig-"

"I'm no good for him, am I?!" He pulls at his slicked-back hair, and screams at the top of his lungs. I slap my hand across his cheek, and he turns to me with a sad gaze, sort of like a child who just lost their favorite toy.

"Ludwig, listen to me, ok?" He nods and turns his gaze back to the ground. "I don't love Feliciano. Well, at least not like you do," I wrap my arms around his shoulders, and he accepts the hug. "He needs someone who is strong, focused and determined, and that description doesn't match me at all. That describes you."

"B-But I-"

"Ah, ah, ah!" I press my finger against his lips, and his blue eyes flutter with surprise. "Just let me finish, ok?" He nods his head again, but remains in eye contact with me. "Feliciano thinks he loves me, doesn't he?"

"J-Ja..."

"Show him that he's not!" I smile. "He only likes me because," I pause. "Well, I don't know why, exactly. Maybe because he didn't have any females visiting him in the hospital?"

Ludwig shrugs. "I don't know, but zhanks for ruining the intense moment."

I laugh and pat his shoulder. "You ready?"

"Yea."

We walk back into the kitchen, and I whisper to Ludwig. "Lovino and I will go out for dinner. Good luck!"

"Danke."

I force Lovino upstairs, and help him pick out a nice outfit- one with no tomatoes on it. Once we finish getting ready, we tiptoe down the stairs.  "Are you sure you don't vant anymore?" Ludwig asks from the table.

"Yea," Feliciano sighs. "I'm full."

Oh, no. My curiosity! Why?!

I couldn't help myself as I look at them from outside the kitchen doorway, and Lovino stands next to me in confusion.

The German raises his eyebrow suspiciously, and kneels down next to Feliciano, grasping his shoulders. "You alvays eat more pasta zhan me, Feliciano. Vhat's wrong?"

"I-I don't know," tears form in the smaller man's eyes as he stares at his friend. "My heart hurts, Ludwig. I don't know what to do!"

"Your heart...?" Feliciano nods his head shakily in reply. "It's ok, I know vhat you're talking about." Feliciano looks at him with wide eyes, and Ludwig continues. "Vhenever I'm around zhe one I love, my heart hurts so bad, zhat I vant to die."

"That's how I feel!" Feliciano smiles a little.

Ludwig shakes his head sadly. "But, I realize zhat if I die, I von't be zhere to protect zhem."

"That's true," Feliciano looks at his hands, folded in his lap. "What do you do to get rid of the pain, Ludwig?"

The German stares at him in silence, then suddenly wraps his arms around his shoulders. "I just stay vizh zhem. Make sure zhat zhey aren't sad..."

"L-Ludwig?"

"Ludwig," Lovino growls under his breath and begins to charge into the room. I grasp his arm, and pull him back.

"Are you crazy?!" I whisper. "Leave them be!"

"That potato bastard is not allowed to touch il mio fratellino!"

I shush him, pretending to zip up his lips, lock them, and swallow the invisible key. He rolls his eyes and leans against the wall, crossing his arms with an angered pout. I turn back my gaze to see Feliciano and Ludwig, both on the floor, just hugging each other. Ludwig raises his mouth to Feliciano's ear, and whispers something.

"Ludwig!" Feliciano begins to cry, the tears streaming down his face and dripping on to Ludwig's clothes. "I never knew!" His hands instantly wrap around the tall German's muscular back. He buries his head into his shoulder, and Ludwig squeezes him tighter, a horrified look on his face.

"I vanted to make sure of somezhing before I told you..."

"What was that?" Feliciano releases him, wiping his amber eyes.

"N-Nozhing," Ludwig averts his gaze. He stands, and reaches a hand out to Feliciano, helping him to his feet. The young Italian jumps up, wrapping his arms around Ludwig's neck.

"This is disgusting," Lovino gags, just listening to them laugh together. He runs down the hallway, and into the bathroom.

My lips curl into a sly smile as I watch him go, and hear Feliciano walk over to the stove to get more pasta. "I'll be right back," Ludwig says. He walks out the doorway I had been hiding behind, but seems to not notice me, turning the opposite direction. Just as I sigh in relief, he freezes. "Zhanks for helping me. I never vould've had enough courage to tell him." My heart skips a beat as I stare at his back in surprise. He stays there for a second before continuing his way down the hall.