Part 16

(Name) was around the age of 10 when it happened.

"M-Mama..." She watched as her mother slowly opened her eyes.

"Honey," she whispered, "Be strong for me, alright?"

"Mama! You can't leave me!" She hugged her mother so tight, it hurt. "I don't care if you don't have hair! You're beautiful, mama! So beautiful..."

Her mother draped an arm around her small daughter's shoulder. "(Name), thank you," she pressed their foreheads together as (Name) quietly sobbed. "I'll try to get better, just for you."

I watched as (Name's) eyes lit up. "Really? Thank you!" She hugged her mother again, and the older woman smiled sadly at me, gesturing for me to take (Name).

"Can you bring her back to her father, Antonio?"

"Sí!" I nod my head. I take (Name's) hand and pull her out of the room as she waves goodbye. Just before closing the door behind us, I peeked my head back in for one last look. Her mother's shoulders trembled and her face was hidden in her hands. I sighed and closed the door, implanting that image in my brain.

"Her mother died."

"Yea," I whisper, "She didn't last a week after that visit."

"Antonio..." Lovino's face looks horrified as he sinks to the ground. "What have I done?"

"I don't know, mi primo," I whisper, "But after her mother died, (Name's) father left."

"What?! That bastard!"

I look away from his angered expression. "She hasn't been able to fall in love since."

"She doesn't trust anyone," he realizes, "But she loves me!"

"Exactly!" I snap. "That is why you have to be exceptionally careful with her!"

"I'm sorry," he whispers, turning away, "I'm not ready to trust anyone. Not just yet." I stare at him in sympathy and shake my head.

"No, I understand."

Lovino lost someone close to him, too. The man who raised him, his grandfather, passed away when he and his brother were just children. He felt like everyone used him, that only his grandfather truly cared.

I pat his shoulder and he looks at me. "Don't worry. (Name) has a way with words."

Your POV

It's been three days since I confessed my love to Lovino. He's been avoiding me, but I always remember to smile at him. "It's really awkward when we run into each other," I vent as I visit Toni, "I don't know what I did wrong."

"He just doesn't trust anyone."

I whine as Toni explains Lovino's complex mindset. "Unless you tell him something over and over, he won't believe it. He will not overcome his fear of opening his heart to someone."

"I got it!" I smack my fist into my hand, a lightbulb glowing bright in my mind. "I'll keep telling him I love him! Thank you so much, Toni!" I lean over him, and kiss his cheek. He stares at me in surprise, lifting a hand to touch the place I had kissed. He averts his gaze as I smile at him. "Toni?"

"(Name)," he whispers, "Can I ask you for a favor?"

"Anything!" I insist, grasping his hand tightly. He looks back at me, his eyes trembling. "I know you don't love me," he begins, looking me straight in the eye, "but will you let me kiss you?"

My eyes open wide with shock as I gasp, "T-Toni..."

"Just once," he pleads, "before you're taken away from me completely..."

I think about all of the pain I've out my best friend through, and curtly nod my head. "Of course. Anything for you." He smiles at my response, and gently cups my cheeks, pulling my face closer to his. I watch him as his eyes close, and our noses barely touch before he opens them again, freezing completely. He releases my cheeks and looks away.

"No. I don't want you to kiss me out of pity." I watch in silence as pained tears fall from his eyes. Out of frustration, I grab his collar, and force my lips into his. He struggles as he grasps the situation, but gradually melts into the kiss, gently returning it. I could feel all of his feelings for me through his soft, tender lips. I cup his cheeks and he places a hand on the back of my head and wraps his arm around my waist, pulling me closer. I end up sitting on his lap, and he pulls away, snaking his second arm around me.

"Gracias, mi amor..." I wrap my arms gently around his shoulders in response, hiding my face in the crook of his neck. I stiffen in surprise as I feel droplets fall onto my shoulder. I push against his chest to look at his face, but he hugs me tighter, securing me to the spot. "Let me stay like this," he whispers, "just a little longer..."