Part 39

I arrive at the airport, and catch a taxi to the hospital. My brother, Lukas, is waiting for me as I arrive. I jump out of the taxi and begin to speed walk into the hospital, Lukas following after me. "How is he?"

"Alive, but unconscious."

"Is he stable?"

"Yes: but that can go haywire at any second."

"Where is he?"

"Room 538."

We get into the elevator, and press the fifth key. We stand there in silence, my bags strewn about the floor. I turn to Lukas, and wrap my arms around his shoulders and pull him close. "You ok...?" He grips my shirt tightly and shakily nods his head. I caress his hair, his blonde locks flowing gently through my fingers. "It's ok. You've been working hard; I'll take care of everything from now on."

The elevator dings, and the doors slide open. I allow my brother to exit before me, and he wipes his eyes as he walks out and turns right down hallway. I grasp my suitcase and bag in my hands, and follow after him. He stops in front of a soft brown door, and gently knocks. "Grandma? (Name) and I are here," he whispers as he opens the door.

"Come in," she smiles as she stands and greets us. Her arms wrap around our shoulders, and she kisses our cheeks. "Welcome back, darlings."

"How is he?" I whisper as I gently push my way past her and freeze as I see my little Emil laying motionless on the bed.

"He's alright, as of this moment," my grandmother stands beside me, holding her hands to her heart. "The hospital has given us two weeks to pay our bills."

My gaze moves behind me to see Lukas, sprawled out on the dark purple chair, his tie hanging loosely from his neck. I whisper to my grandmother, "How long as he been working?"

"Eighteen hours a day, six days a week."

I feel myself getting emotional, thinking how much stress everyone must be in. "I'm so sorry. I was oblivious to this whole situation..."

"No, sweetie," she smiles. "I was the one who kept it from you." I wrap my arms around her, and she does the same to me. As we cry our hearts out in each other's arms, the beeping from the monitor starts speeding up. "Oh, no."

My eyes shoot to the machine, and find the light is red. "Emil!"

My grandmother rushes to the wall and presses the red button for assistance. "Lukas! Run and get help!" My brother jumps at her voice, but obeys and throws the door open, and runs out into the hallway.

I hold Emil's hand as his face contorts in pain. "Come on, baby brother. You're strong, you can do this! Just breathe!"

His silver blonde hair falls onto his face, his lips slightly moving. "(Na.....me)..."

I hadn't heard his voice in months. Just the sound of him calling out to me brought tears to my eyes. Just as my hand was about to touch his cheek, the hospital nurses and staff rush in and push me aside. They set up their supplies, and a long BEEEEEP seemed to echo around us.

"We're losing him!" A nurse cried.

"Clear!" The doctor pressed the plates to Emil's chest, and his small body jerks upwards. Through all the chaos, I heard loud, terrified cries coming from the back of the room. I look, and Lukas is on his hands and knees; he couldn't even look at Emil as the doctors tried to bring him back. I run over to him and wrap my arms tightly around his curled up body. "It's ok, everything fine, Emil is going to live."

"B-But-"

"Shhh," I rub his back tenderly, and he relaxes in my arms. Everything around us seemed to stop as we sat there in a tight embrace. I hid my face in his shoulder, desperate to escape reality. A few minutes later, I feel a tap on my shoulder, and our grandmother takes our hands, leading us to the bed. Emil's eyes were barely open, but he weakly extends his hand out to us. "Lukas, (Name)..."

"Emil!" We cry in unison, our arms instantly wrapping around the fragile child. "Are you ok?!" I whisper yell.

"Mhm," he nods his head gently. "I'm ok."

"What happened?" Lukas grasps his hand.

"I had a dream about mommy," he says. "She was holding my hand, just like you are right now, Luke. She was showing me a pretty garden, with beautiful Mountain Avens as white as the clouds!" He extends his hand up to the ceiling. "But then, mommy passed through a gold gate. She said You can't come any farther, Emil. You aren't ready. I got on my hands and knees, and kept asking her why I couldn't go with her into the gates. She put her hand on my cheek, and said You don't want to come here; this is where all of God's little angels stay." Tears stream down all of our cheeks as little Emil told us his dream. "I told her I was a good little angel, and that God loves me, but she shook her head, and walked away without saying anything else."

"I'm so sorry, Emil..." I kiss his forehead.

He grasps onto my sleeve and pulls me down, "Does mommy not love me anymore?"

"No, that's not if, darling," I smile sweetly. "Mommy loves you so much, that she wanted you to stay here with us."

"Really?" His violet eyes open wide, and he smiles. "I'm happy she didn't make me go, then." Emil turns his gaze to Lukas, and looks at him worriedly. "Why were you crying, older brother?"

Lukas' cheeks turn red, and he averts his gaze. "Tell him why, older brother."

"You're older than me, (Name)," Lukas crosses his arms. Emil and I laugh at his little outburst, and our grandmother pats our shoulders.

"I don't know why calling him that is so funny!"

"When Lukas was little, he threw a huge tantrum because our mother said he'd grow up."

Emil's laughs become a little weaker, but he still has a giant smile on his face. "He didn't want to be old."

"Being old is weird," Lukas complains.

"You already live and work like an adult," I ruffle his hair.

"Doesn't mean I have to be one."

As we sit there and laugh at each other, a soft knock comes from the door. "Hello?"

"It's us!" A voice calls through.

"Oh, great," Lukas facepalms.

Grandma walks over to the door and let's in three boys: one with spiky blonde hair, one with a soft smile, and one with an intimidating stare hiding behind a pair of glasses. "Welcome, Matthias, Tino, Berwald. Thank you for visiting Emil!"

"No problem, Mrs. G," Matthias smiles. His gaze moves to me, and he struts his way up. "And who is this young thing?"

"Someone you never have a chance with," Lukas grabs the boy's tie and yanks it. I pat their heads and smile. "You're here for Emil, right? He's right here." I gesture to the bed and Emil sits up, cringing at the pain in his chest from the dephibrilator. "Hi, guys."

"How are you doing?" Tino, the shortest boy, smiles as walks up to the bed and peers his eyes over the edge.

"I'm ok," Emil smiles down at him. Berwald comes over next to Tino and sets a bouquet down. "Tino said you would like these."

"Thank you, Berwald!" Emil takes the bouquet of Kennedy roses and smells them before setting them down.

"I brought you this!" Matthias takes an egg out from his pocket. Everyone stares blankly at it as he holds it out with pride. "What?"

"How did you get that in here?" Lukas questions sternly.

"In my pocket, duh."

"We said not to bring that, Matthias," Tino shakes his head with an embarrassed grin.

"I knew Emil would like it," Matthias sticks to his idea and sets the egg gently down beside Emil's legs. "It's a puffin. It'll hatch soon, so keep it warm, ok?"

Emil's eyes fill with tears as he picks up the egg with both hands and rubs it against his cheek. "I will, Matthias. Thank you all for coming today."