Part 46

That night, we all sang and partied, telling stories about our past. "And then, Lovino kicked a goal!" Toni jumps up and starts screaming, showing how proud he was of his little cousin. "He was so cute and small, and walked away like the goal didn't even matter!"

"That's because it didn't," Lovino crosses his arms with a smirk. "It was just the goal that won the game. No big deal."

"That's a very big deal!" Emil smiles, his eyes sparkling. Lovino raises an eyebrow as he looks down at him, and then he smiles and ruffles his hair.

"Thanks, little guy."

Emil nuzzles into the palm of his hand. "Of course!"

I giggle, and look around at everyone. Matthias, Berwald, and Tino were talking with Lukas about Legos, while the rest of us were listening to Antonio's stories. That's when I notice, that one of us is missing. I walk over to Emil and kneel down beside him. "Emil, honey, where's Ivan?"

"Oh, he wanted to sit outside!"

"Alright," I pinch his cheek softly and stand, beginning to make my way to the back deck. I quietly open the door, and my eyes land on Ivan's little wheelchair. "Ivan?"

He turns around looking frightened, but his expression softens as he realizes it's only me. "Oh, hi, (Name)."

"How are you doing?" I ask, pulling up a chair beside him.

He nods, moving his gaze to the sky. "Good. The stars are beautiful, aren't they?"

"I agree," I reply, the stars twinkling from the dark sky. "Hey, Ivan?"

"Yes?"

"Where are you from?"

He looks at me with a blank stare, then looks down at his hands. "I don't remember what it was called. But, I know it isn't far from here."

"Where is your family?"

"M-My mother died a long time ago, and," he pauses, tears welling up in his eyes, "I haven't heard from my father in about a year." I look at him with a sympathetic smile, and I move to kneel down beside him.

"I'm sorry, Ivan," I whisper as I gently caress his cheek. "It must've been hard for you."

"Yea," he responds with a quivering lip. "I miss my parents."

I take him in my arms, squeezing him tight, but careful of his injuries. "I know your parents are really proud of you."

"You think so?" He asks, his shoulders trembling.

"I know so," I smile in response. "Your father, wherever he is now, is probably smiling, thinking about his one and only little Ivan."

"I hope you're right," he wipes at his cheeks. "We were really poor, so I doubt my father could afford to come and visit me."

I look at his pretty violet eyes, which sparkled with the reflection of the stars in his tears. "Maybe, we can bring you to him one day."

"You would do that for me?" His eyes open wide with surprise. I nod my head, and he rests his forehead against mine. "Thank you so much, (Name). You have a lovely family, and a pure heart. I'm so glad I get to spend my last days with you."

"No, Ivan, don't say that," I smile lightly. "You're going to be just fine."

"Yea, we'll help you," a voice sounds from behind us. We turn our heads and see Lovino, leaning against the door frame. "We'll go see the sights, and maybe I'll make you some Italian food."

"I've never tried Italian food before!" Ivan's mood instantly changes.

I smile at Lovino, who winks at me as he walks over to us. He kneels on the other side of Ivan, and he looks at him. "But, you have to promise that you'll keep your head up and stay hopeful."

Ivan nods, a tear escaping his eye. "Yes, I promise."

Lovino's cheeks turn pink, and he leans over, kissing Ivan on the forehead. "That's my boy."

The young boy laughs, and smiles up at him. "Is this what it's like to have a mom and a dad?"

Lovino and I exchange embarrassed glances. "W-Well," I begin, "I'm not sure. My parents fought a lot."

"I never knew mine," Lovino shrugs.

Ivan's small hands move to try and cover our larger ones. "Well, I guess this'll be a new experience for all of us!"