Chapter Twelve

“Today was a long day.” I mumbled as I flopped down onto the couch. It was almost midnight.

“You’re telling me, we probably went up and down the coast over twenty times.” Arianna said sitting down on the floor. She laid down flat on her back and looked up at the ceiling, her dark hair spread out around her head.

The house was quiet, indicating that we were the only ones awake.

“I know and I appreciate you guys helping me find this.” Megan said hopping in with a packet of cookies in her hand.

“I hope it was worth it.” I growled. Megan beamed down at me and nodded enthusiastically, her curls bouncing as she did.

“I’m going to go shower and then go to bed.” Arianna stood up.

“Yeah, don’t wanna be tired for Kenzie’s Sunrise Brainstorm tomorrow.” I reminded them.

“Oh god, we have that too.” Arianna groaned.

“Sleep sounds super good right now.” Megan agreed. The two left the living room, bidding me a goodnight. Instead of actually going to bed too, I opted to reach for the remote on the coffee table and switch on the TV.

I was excited to find that The Purge had just started. I liked a good scary movie despite the fact that I was the biggest pansy in the world. After a good hour into the movie I started getting thirsty so I quickly went to the kitchen.

We were out of bottled water. I sighed. I took a glass out from cupboard and got water from the fridge. I greedily drained the glass and filled it up once again. When I was satisfied I put the glass in the sink and washed it. I thought I heard some movement but came to the conclusion that it was my mind playing tricks on me.

When I was done I put the glass away and went back to the living room. But before I even made it out of the kitchen a figure came from the stairs and bumped into me. I shrieked and closed my eyes tightly.

“Kye, hey, relax.” Mason’s voice said. I opened my eyes to see him standing there with a suppressed grin playing on his lips. I breathed a sigh of relief.

“You scared me.” I said quickly. Mason chuckled.

“I’m sorry, I just wanted to get something to drink.” He replied.

“Oh, don’t worry. It’s okay.” I waved it off. He chuckled once more before going around me. I didn’t move as I heard him open the fridge. I thought for a second as my heart rate decreased again, going back to normal. “Actually,” I said turning around. “It’s not okay.”

Mason was standing by the fridge with a can of soda in his hand. He raised a dark eyebrow. “Okay…” he said cautiously.

“It’s not okay, don’t you sleep, Mason? This isn’t the first time I run into you in the middle of the night.” I crossed my arms over my chest.

“I should be asking you that.” He countered. I shook my head wildly.

“No, I know why I’m awake, I’m awake ‘cause I’m a light sleeper. What’s your excuse?” I sneered. Mason blinked at me a couple of times. “Well?”

“You.” He said flatly.

“Me?” I asked. Mason sighed and put his can on the counter.

“Yeah you, Kylie. I haven’t exactly been sleeping too well since coming back from war.” He said. At that moment I felt bad for yelling at him. “So when I don’t sleep, my mind starts wandering and almost every single time since that night it’s been wandering to you.”