Chapter Thirty-Nine

I stood in front of the full length mirror, a proud grin adorning my face. My bridesmaids dress fit perfectly. It hugged my body in all the right places and was not loose in a single spot, except where it was supposed to be.

I couldn’t help but feel a sense of accomplishment come over me as I studied my figure in the mirror. I was back to my normal size, no evidence of my sudden stress-induced weight loss was left.

“Hey, look at that.” Arianna said coming into my bedroom. “Fits like a glove. Beautiful.” She smiled. I turned to look at her and chuckled.

“You don’t know how happy I am.” I breathed, relieved.

“No, I don’t think you know how happy I am.” She countered. Arianna stepped forward, her brown eyes filled with concern as she put a hand on my bare shoulder. “I was so worried about you before you lost the weight and after losing it I was even more worried. This is really hard on you, isn’t it?”

I shrugged. “I mean…I miss him...I worry about him, so much.” I looked down.
“I can’t imagine what you’re going through.” Arianna took my hand in hers and squeezed.

“I’m not religious but I find myself just praying that he’s okay, that’s he’s alive, that he’s…he’ll come back.”

“And he will!” she assured me. I gave her a small smile and she pulled me into a hug.

“Let me get changed so we can go.” I said quickly perking up. We had to be at my brother’s house for a meet up with everyone. It was the last chance we had to finalise details and if we didn’t leave in ten minutes Arianna and I would be late.

Going to my brother’s house was always fun especially since I got to see Lola. The woman was such a sweetheart and she was actually so funny.

“Miss Kylie, Miss Arianna!” Lola exclaimed. Her dark hair was up in a neat bun atop her head and her aged face held the warmest smile.

“Hi, Lola.” I embraced her, inhaling her familiar scent of cinnamon and fruits. I’d lived with my brother for almost two years and in those troubling two years this house, this woman and Connor were my comfort. Especially after everything had happened between me and my mother, Lola was a welcomed presence in my life at the time and even now.

“Lola!” Arianna sang coming in to hug the petite woman herself.

“How have you been?” I asked Lola as she closed the front door to the house.

“Very good but also very old.” She replied, leading us through the house.

“How come?” Arianna asked. I glanced at my best friend, amused.

“Well it was my birthday last week and there were more than fifty candles on my cake! Fifty!” she huffed sadly. I supressed a smirk. 

“Well, Lola, you don’t look a day over forty.” I assured her, putting my hand on her back. Lola flushed.

“Well you girls don’t look a day over fifteen.” Lola seemed proud with her compliment. Arianna and I shared an amused look.

“Thank you, Lola.” Arianna chuckled. Lola led us to the living room that was filled with all the bridesmaids.

“Hey, everyone.” I greeted. We were greeted briskly because everyone seemed to be in some kind of deep conversation.

Megan and Victoria were involved in intense conversation. Mckenzie was sitting on a couch next to Candice and they were speaking about flying some relatives of Mckenzie’s out for the wedding. Connor was nowhere to be seen and Lola just vanished the way she usually does.