Chapter Twenty-Four

It was around nine in the evening, I was sitting criss-cross-apple-sauce on the bed painting my nails with white nail polish. The tip of my tongue was sticking out of my mouth as I concentrated on carefully applying the polish. Mason came barrelling into the bedroom and I screamed when he jumped onto the bed.

"Mason, you barbarian!" I cried. He just laughed, his baritone filling the room. I gave a sigh of relief when I noticed that my nails were still perfect. "Why are you so rough?" I inquired. Mason looked up at me.

"Rough? I am not rough." He defended with a chuckle.

"But you are." I countered playfully. He sat up and watched me apply the nail polish to my index finger.

"Now how do I prove to you that I can be not so rough as you say?" he asked with a curious childlike sparkle in his beautiful blue eyes.

I pursed my lips as I thought about it. Then it came to me when I glanced down at the bottle of nail polish in my hand.

"No." he said quickly. "No, no, no, you are crazy. I am not letting you paint my nails."

"What?" I burst out laughing, a horrifying cackle I couldn't control. "I don't want to paint your nails." I uncrossed my legs and put them out in front of me, wiggling my toes. "I want you to paint my nails."

Mason raised a dark eyebrow, looked down at my wiggling little piggies and laughed. "What colour?" he chuckled.

"Yay!" I squeaked, gesturing to the pink bag that was sitting in my lap. "You can pick."

Mason took the bag from me. "Oh my," he said in falsetto, sounding like a manly little girl, if that made any sense. "So many options, I can't even!" he then laughed. "That's how you sound half of the time." He added back in his natural baritone.

I gasped. "I do not!"

"You do." He dug out a bottle of baby pink polish from the bag. "How about this one?" he held the little bottle up.

"Perfect." I smiled. Mason positioned himself so that my feet were comfortably in his lap. He opened the bottle and started painting my big toe, slowly and carefully. "I can't believe you're doing this."

He glanced up at me briefly. "Why not?"

I didn't look back up from my nails as I spoke. "I don't know because you're Mason...you're all...I don't know...manly and whatever." I was stumbling over my words. Mason laughed.

"I am manly, aren't I?" his tone was laced with arrogance.

"Oh, hush and paint my pinkie toe pink." I retorted. He laughed once again going back to painting my nails.

A couple of hours later everything had settled down. Mason and I were asleep and the room was dark. I rolled over under the covers and reached for Mason's side of the bed. I frowned when I touched cold covers.

"Mason?" I said softly but there was no response. I quickly put on the bedside lamp. My bottom lip quivered when I realised that the only person occupying the bed. I checked the time on my cell phone and it was just after 5...Mason said he was going to leave at 3AM to make it to the base on time.

I sighed heavily. I couldn't believe he'd left without saying goodbye. I bottom lip shook and I angrily wiped away a stray tear from my eyes. I switched the light off and pulled the covers over my head. I went back to sleep with a frown on my lips.

"Hey, everyone." I walked into the room and all of my friends were there, so was Connor. I looked around and all the guys were in their suits, Alex, Owen, Alessio, AJ and Connor. All the girls in the room wore cream dresses...bridesmaid dresses, Megan, Candice, Arianna and even Victoria. Mckenzie was in a poofy white wedding gown, standing near Connor.