Chapter Thirty-Four

Another week meant another call from Mason. I was always excited to hear from him. I was getting accustomed to seldom hearing his voice and for small amounts of time too. The longest call we usually had was around seven minutes and that was on a good day...sometimes he could only manage to just call, say hi, see how I'm doing and hang up.

"You sound tired, Mase." I said holding my cell phone to my ear as I leaned on the wall in the kitchen. He chuckled.

"I am." He replied wearily. "Barely gotten any sleep this week but I'll be fine."

"How is it..." I hesitated. "How is it out there?"

"It's," he paused. "It's how I remember it...intense." He sighed. "As long as you never have to see what I'm seeing then it's all good."

"I will say this once again. Mason Donavan, you are so brave."

"Thank you...I try to do what I can besides at least I'm not alone out here."

"You've got your brave colleagues with you." I chuckled.

"When you're out here, they become less like colleagues and more like family." There was silence and then some shuffling. "Kye, I gotta love you and leave you, okay love?"

I felt my lips pout. "Stay strong." I said.

"Always." The line went dead and I sighed.

I left the kitchen to go to the living room only to find AJ and Connor on the phone. Arianna was just lounging on a couch so I sat next to her.

"This deal will go south if he doesn't get his shit together." AJ hissed into his cell phone. Arianna and I glanced at each other, curious to know what was going on. This conversation sounded heated. "I will cut him out of it, I don't care who the hell he thinks he is."

I looked at Arianna once more and she shrugged. Her brother was pissed and all of a sudden, so was mine.

"What do you mean they're trying to poach my clients?" Connor held his own cell phone to his ear and his jaw was clenched tightly. "Caleb, get my lawyers on the phone, I'm on my way." He finished the call and looked at me, exasperated. "I-" he started.

"Have to go...I figured." I interrupted. Connor's green eyes were apologetic. "It's fine, Connor, go, it's work." I turned to Arianna. "We won't miss you." I teased him. With a smile Connor left to his room.

"I know he doesn't want me to come down there." AJ sneered. "Don't make me come down there." I felt bad for the person who was on the other end of this conversation. "He what?" AJ stopped pacing and his nostrils flared. "I am coming down there and he'd better pray that everything is in order or else someone is gonna get it."

The thought of him freaking out more than he already was seemed impossible.

AJ stood for a moment, regaining his composure.

"So..." Arianna started. "How about this weather?" she chuckled awkwardly. I burst out laughing, toppling over onto her lap. She returned my laugh with her own ridiculous cackles.

AJ glared at us before leaving probably to go pack his bags.

"Ugh. Everyone's leaving." Arianna pouted.

"I know, it sucks." I huffed. "We were supposed to be here the whole summer...there's like a couple of weeks of summer left and there's just three of us still here... well after those two leave it'll just be three of us."

"I rate we go do something fun." She pondered. We thought for a while. I gasped as I had my light bulb moment.

"Let's go to the spa!" Arianna's brown eyes widened at my suggestion.