Chapter Sixteen

"Morning." I said softly as I shuffled into the kitchen. Megan was sitting on the kitchen island drinking a coffee, her bouncy curls restrained in a tight bun.

"Hey, hey, hey." She beamed.

"Good mornin', dearest." Candice smiled. She was leaning on the fridge, eating her cereal.

"Where is everyone?" I asked.

"Sleeping, probably." Megan shrugged.

"Only Arianna is still sleeping, but you knew that. Connor and Kenzie went for a walk, I don't know where the other boys are though." Candice told me.

"I saw Mason and Alex lurking around somewhere." Megan added. I shrugged and started setting the kitchen up to make pancakes. I was in desperate need of some pancakes.

"Oh my," Candice gasped checking the thin silver watch on her wrist. "We should get going, hun." She said to Megan. "If we don't leave now we're gonna get caught in the line."

Megan's eyes widened and she quickly downed her coffee.

"Where are you two going?" I asked as they started shuffling around, getting ready to leave.

"The farmer's market in the next town. They tweeted out that they got a fresh shipment of dragon fruit and I've been dying to make you all my dragon fruit smoothies." Megan said excitedly.

"Yeah and if we get there early enough I can get to choose from all the good jams." Candice added.

I chuckled. "Okay, well, uhm, have fun?" It came out more as a question than a statement.

"Oh we will." Megan said. The two ladies left the kitchen and then the house.

It was uncharacteristically quiet in the house, usually it was busy in the mornings, everyone planning out their days and whatnot. But today, the kitchen and the rest of the house seemed deserted and I didn't mind.

I got going on making my blueberry pancake mix. I couldn't cook as well as my brother but if there was something I knew how to make well, it would be pancakes.

I mixed the ingredients in a big bowl and put the stove on. The batter was smooth, the only lumps being the blueberry pieces that swam happily in the bowl filled with gooey-goodness.

I fished a pan out of the cupboard and sprayed it with some oil. Nobody likes pancakes that are stuck to the pan, I knew that very well.

I poured the first little blob of batter into the pan and was almost hit with the smell of blueberries instantaneously. My lips curled into an excited grin as I watched the batter cook, armed with my spatula at the ready.

"Mmm, something smells good." I heard Mason's voice from behind me. I turned around, startled and saw him leaning on the wall near the doorway with a smirk playing on his lips. I pursed my lips and turned around, paying attention to my pancake that was ready to be flipped.

"You scared me." I said to Mason as I kept my eyes on the pan.

"Sorry." He chuckled. His baritone filled the kitchen. "I hope you're making some for me too." He added, he sounded closer.

"That can be arranged." I replied taking the pancake out of the pan and putting it onto a plate. As I reached for the batter to pour into the pan I felt Mason's arms go around my waist. I inhaled sharply.

"What if someone sees us?" I hissed lowly.

"Nobody's here to see us." His lips brushed against my ear. I breathed in his familiar scent and smiled when he pressed his lips to my neck. Through all of that I had managed to get some batter into the pan.