Chapter Thirty-One

I sat on the cold beach sand for hours, listening to the waves crash, looking at the moon light up the ocean and feeling as alone as I possibly could.

I wasn't sure if I had made the right decision by telling Connor and Mason that I wouldn't talk to them if they didn't sort everything out. I didn't want it to come to where I end up on good terms with both of them but they end up not being on good terms with each other.

I switched on my cell phone which had been off the entire time. I was surprised to see 00:13 displayed on the screen, I had no idea it was that late.

17 text messages, 9 missed calls and 3 voicemails. I didn't bother reading the messages or listening to the voicemails. Instead I switched the phone back off.

I inhaled the scent of the sea once more before rising to my feet. I looked out at the ocean. It was cold, no doubt about it and I was shivering wildly as I made my way back to the house. My jean jacket was helping but not that much.

When I got to the beach house, all of the lights were switched off except for those in the kitchen. I went in and found Megan and Alessio sitting at the table talking.

"Hey," Megan said when she saw me. "Are you okay?"

"Hi. I'm fine." I went to the fridge and took out a bottle of water. "Goodnight."

"Goodnight." They both said to me. I left the kitchen and went to the bedroom. Arianna was fast asleep. I decided against getting in the bed and risking waking her so I went to the room Victoria and Candice used to share.

Slipping under the covers, I tried to fall asleep. It wasn't easy but I managed to close my eyes and get into a state where I was finally going under.

I woke up the next morning with the sun flooding into the room. The smell of pancakes was in the air and I breathed it in excitedly. I was excited for the day that lay ahead until I remembered.

I remembered what had happened the previous night. My shoulders sagged and I frowned.

Where did it all go wrong? I thought to myself. I shuffled out of the bed and outside to a bathroom. Not even a hot shower could cheer me up at this point.

I was happy to find that when I went to our bedroom, Arianna wasn't there. She was most probably with the voices that were coming from the kitchen. I changed into some fresh clothes and got ready to go get some food.

Coupled with the smell of good food and the joy in the voices from the kitchen, I had some hope that maybe everything had worked out.

Maybe Connor and Mason would be laughing together in the kitchen, back to how they used to be. But I couldn't be more wrong.

Connor and Mason weren't even sitting near each other. They were laughing but with other people. I stood in the doorway of the kitchen as I watched everyone participate in some friendly chatter.

"Morning." I said. The voices died down and everyone turned to look at me. Connor and Mason shared a quick, guilty glance and I knew they hadn't talked.

"Morning, baby Pearson." Alex was the first to speak up. He greeted me cheerfully with a big smile.

"We're making pancakes." Megan chirped up from next to him. She and Alex were standing by the stove, each with a pan in front of them. "Care to join us?'

"Yeah, definitely." I smiled weakly. And with that everyone went back to talking. Arianna stood up from where she was sitting which was next to Connor and came to me.

"You okay?" she asked, her familiar brown eyes worried. I nodded.

"I'm just fine." It wasn't a complete lie. Of course I wasn't happy that Connor and Mason weren't speaking but I was more than okay with it if they were going to play it that way.