Chapter 13: Mum and Lacey have an Evil moment

We load off the plane, tiredly. Filled with jetlag and excitement, then the rain comes. In heaving buckets down on the unsuspecting tourists as we walk in single file into the Tokyo International Airport. Having travelled with a 4 year old, we sat right at the back of business class, next to the toilets and at the entrance to economy, we were also the last to exit the plane. Strands of blonde hair cling to my face and my sopping clothes send a shiver down my spine. My DC bag flopping, as I walk, against my wet back makes me oh so much more uncomfortable. We enter the packed central loading area of the rather massive airport. People are greeted by family members holding signs saying their last name  or by taxi drivers standing nonchalantly in their pristine uniforms. Keeping my head down and expecting a driver to approach us and offer us a lift, I walk to the baggage carousel. I feel an unfimiliar body crash into mine, sending me stumbling.

"Sorry there." Says a rather familiar Australian accented voice. I look up, it's dad, in all his glory. Round bearded face smiling, laugh lines around his eyes and mouth crinkling, slightly over-large glasses shining in the clinical light of the huge room. I've not seen my dad in months. I always was a daddy's girl. I throw my arms around him, squealing with delight, calling mum and my sisters over.

"Ingrid? Is that you?" He asks. I nod. "Look how much you've grown! How old are you now? I'm sorry I missed your birthday." 

"16, dad! And it's fine, I get to see you now." I reply in happiness. Mum walks over, Abbie in her arms still snoring soundly, Emily following behind, tiredly, having just come down from a massive coffee high; and Lacey, yawning heavily, dragging a carry on travel suitcase with her. They see dad, mum nearly drops Abbie whilst running open armed towards dad, a surprisingly agile Lacey catches Abigale before she hits the ground and a newly energised Emily tackles him. Mum and Em have wrapped their arms around me, as I am still clinging to dad, Lacey and an awoken Abbie join the mix.

"Girls, girls......can't breathe!" Dad whines. We all laugh. Most of us let go, leaving mum and dad to embrace for the first time in nearly 6 months. I can see from behind, that mum had tears of happiness rolling down her face and that she is smiling. Her pixie cut makes it easier to see her face from slightly behind and slightly Side on. 

"All passengers from flight 271A from Australia, your bags are at the carousel now." A lady over the loud speaker says, and repeats again in Japanese. Dad, seeming to know his way, lets go of mum and leads us to the massively crowded baggage claim. We elbow our way to the front and watch out for a family set of army issue dive bags and extra suitcases, or in my case a suit bag. The conveyor belt starts chugging along the first set of bags, I watch the veiled entrance for any signs of my family's luggage. My suit bag comes trundling along, followed by my suitcase, Lacey's dive bag, Emily's dive bag, Abbie's small suitcase and dive bag and mums dive bag. 

"Dad? Where is my dive bag?" I ask, tugging at his jumper sleeve.

"It'll be here in a minute Ingrid." He responds. We wait and wait and wait and wait, did I forget that we waited, for the the green bag to come along the black conveyor belt. It doesn't.

"Let's go and ask what's happened." Mum suggests. I shrug and the troupe moves over to the baggage claim help desk. We are greeted by a smiling Japanese lady.

"Konnichiwa." I say

"Konnichiwa. Australians?" She asks after greeting me.

"Yes, we're looking for a lost bag." My dad interjects.

"Flight number?"

"271A."

"Oh dear. Sir, I'm afraid that a lot of baggage from that flight is missing."

"What do you mean?" Mum asks, Lacey hoists Abbie higher into her hip.

"Ma'am, your bag is in Paris, along with 7 other international bags." The woman elaborates. I sigh. This cannot be happening. My bag isn't in Paris. It can't be. It has all my clothes in it. Everything.

"Arigato. Sayonara." My dad says.

"Jamata Ne. Arigato." The lady responds, still smiling.

We walk away, my head hung.

"What am I gonna do?" I ask, flopping onto the nearest and possibly the most uncomfortable airport chair. Mum and Lacey smile, some what evilly at eachother. They grab me by the forearms, one each. Dad seems to have suddenly caught a vibe of what they're doing, runs and grabs a Bag trolley, loads our bags on and makes toward the entry/exit of the airport, Abbie and Emily in tow. Mum and Lace pull me to a standing position, look at each other, smile and look back at me, smiles wider and making me more uncomfortable.

"What? Tell me?" I demand. They simultaneously shake their heads. Dad waves to us from outside, standing next to a big Tarago with 'TAXI' painted on the sides in both English and Japanese. Mum and Lacey drag me to the sliding glass doors and force me into the Tarago. One sitting on each side of me.

"Japanese shopping trip, anyone?" Mum asks, winking at me.