Chapter 24: Embrace the......nerd -facepalm-

----INGRIDS POV:----

(Ingrid: I'M BAAAAACK! Narrator: Shut up)

Pulling on my leather jacket and combat boots, I trudge to the door. Shayila and Ruth are painting each other's nails and chatting, ugh pink. Black is my one true love during this blue period, kidding...periods are red. 

"Bye, fam!" I call.

"Bye, honey, have fun!" "See ya later, Bae!" I hear called from several different rooms. Smiling, I open the door and step into the summer sun. Ugh, too hot to be goth. What's the temperature today? Like....37 degrees, screw you Australia. My dark jeans are held up by a borrowed belt from my dad, not exactly borrowed...more stolen, and my slate grey vest sits perfectly ironed. My bow tie is tucked into my pocket at the moment but I'll adjust it on when I get to the Carlos' house. Jacko and Kaedy Carlos were so kind to offer me this job, because this time next year, Imma need money to pay for student accomodation at ANU. That's right, I got in for mid year. Doing a teaching degree in English, sose, history, Japanese and Drama. (Ingrid: haha drama, I'm good at causing that. Narrator: -face palms- I'm locking you in a cupboard soon.)

I stand at the end of Bean Street and slip my grey bow tie under the lapels of my black work shirt. I didn't have a uniform for this job but since I'm goth and sorta hipster....I figured this one out. I flick my wrist, my smart watch lighting up to tell me the time. 3 minutes to be at number 17, easy. I speed walk down the street, the house getting nearer. I nanny on the weekends and inbetween school, some days I'll have to take the little rascal to school with me.

(Gen: cos I'm an idiot, I've forgotten the name of Jacks nephew. Bear with me as I change it, and if you lovely, kind people come across or remember the name, please leave it in the comments and I'll change it to the original. Enjoy your day!)

I stand at the door of the stately white washed house and ring the door bell. I hear the sound of footsteps followed by nails scratching a wooden surface. I didn't know they had two dogs, Jack being the first. Kaedy opens the door.

"Ingrid..." She breathes, gripping my arm and pulling me inside. "Jacko and I are going out tonight. I'll pay you extra to babysit. My lousy excuse for a brother is coming over later, please ignore him. Also, there is an empty drawer in the kitchen, labelled 'Helliers food' please feel free to use it for your food, bags, coats...that's stuff. Do-do I look alright?" She twirls, her maroon a-line dress flaring around her.

"Gorgeous, Kae. Now, finish up. I'll deal with Leo and Jacko." 

"Thank you so so so so so much! I don't know what we'd do without you." Kaedy smiled, she dashes up the stairs. I walk into the living room, obviously intruding on a father-son bonding moment. Jacko has the Tellietubbies playing on the tv as little Leo and him have a round of peekaboo. It's adorable.

"Hey, Hellier." Jacko says, behind his hands. Leo's giggles filling the room. 

"Yo." I salute, flopping down on the recliner.

"Thanks so much for doing this for us. We need to work 9-5..actually....Kae works 6-6:30 and I work 5-2...but, never mind, than you for coming over and for taking this job. Kae and I just need some time to ourselves tonight..."

"She's already your wife, Jackson. But it's cute that you and her are going out."

"Haha, yeah. But she has, like, some MASSIVE" He emphasised with his hands "news or shit to tell me."

"Oh....Kay." Kaedy comes down the stairs, looking radiant as usual.

"Jacko, let's go. Rosie, there is food in the fridge for you and some formula in the drawer. Please have him in bed before we come home at 11. Have fun. See you later." She pushes Jacko out the door. He waves good bye.

I take little Leo on my lap and run my fingers through his gorgeous oaken curls. He got the curls from a Jacko but the colour from Kaedy. He is such a cutie, with mismatched eyes, grey and green, button nose and the fullest lips, he should be a baby model or something. He gurgles, then let's out the most unholy of farts.

"Woah mama. Some one needs a change." I whisper, pinching my nose as not to inhale the smell. I place Leo on my hip and carry him to his room and his change table. Thank god, I'd had experience with Abby or this would suck balls, Jacks to be exact. I hear the front door open, then close with a snap.

"Kae? KAE? JACKO? LEO?" I hear some one yell, Kaedy definitely hasn't told him that I was on tonight. This is gonna be so much fun. I hike Leo higher onto my hip and trundle down the stairs, cooing to him softly. I stand in the hallway, infront of the stairs, looking into the lounge with the front door to my left and the kitchen to my right. Footsteps approach, as well as some more calling. 

Then he walks into the hall. He sees me, his eyes widen and his jaw drops. I smile, Leo runs his chubby fingers through the tendriled strands of hair that escaped my small, messy bun. He stands still, his back ram rod straight. I almost feel sorry for him, but I did tell him I was working for Kaedy and he obviously didn't listen. Regret, guilt, sadness, longing, fury, abandonment, loneliness all cross his face. And here I was thinking he had the emotional range of a teaspoon.

"Wha-what are you doing here with Leo?"

"Gettin paid, Jack-a-boy. Miss me?"

A relieved smile crosses his face, hahaha he thinks I've forgiven him. He outstretched his arms and reaches for me....

(Ingrid: DUN, DUN, DUUUUUUUUUUN! Ooh cliffy! What am I gonna do next?

Narrator: can't tell you, it's a cliffy for a reason.

Nancy: FO SHO! TELL EM WHAT HAPPENS, BITCH!

Narrator: Nan, Hun, that's for another time....g'night)