Prologue

Harry

In the beginning when I first met Emma I didn't think I would ever end up falling for her. Yet here I am, falling. She didn't seem like the type of girl I would usually go for; spunky, outgoing, funny, and kind-hearted. I guess that's what made me like her even more. But that doesn't mean she didn't possess those qualities.

Emma seemed kindhearted in the sense of how much you could tell she cared for her best friends; Natalie and Anna. Those three are nearly inseparable. Other than her being kindhearted though, there wasn't much to go off of for her personality. Not at first. She was completely and utterly reserved. Sure, Emma was polite and sweet when talking to us all, but she never talked about anything personal, and she never seemed to let her guard down. Then when she was around Anna and Natalie, she seemed to come alive. I couldn't help but wonder why that was. I guess that's what sparked my interest in her, what made her so intriguing.

When we left to go back on tour it was right after Natalie had a run in with her now ex-boyfriend, Anthony or whatever that kid's name was. This gave me a substantial reason to call Emma and see how she was doing. Like I had figured, Emma wouldn't really say much other than the typical "I'm doing well." This didn't make me give up though.

During the next couple of weeks I kept calling and texting her to check in on her and Natalie, seeing as Natalie wasn't really returning anyone's calls except for Niall's. During this time I managed to get Emma to talk to me a little once she saw that I cared about Natalie.

The day that Emma called me instead of the other way around had to have been the happiest day I had since we had gone back on tour. At least until what she had to tell me registered. I could hear how upset she was and it made me feel horrible that the only thing I could try to do was comfort her over the phone. And I'll admit, my heartbeat faltered when she called me Haz. Emma had never called me that before. It brought goose bumps to the back of my neck in the way she sounded so distressed, and how she actually sounded like she missed me.

After Emma called me that day, I noticed a small change in our friendship. If you could even call what we had a friendship. Emma talked a little bit more than she once did. She opened herself up a little to me, allowed me to see that under her hard and seemingly bitter shell she was actually a really sweet girl. I now knew that, like Natalie she liked to go for short jogs every now and then, but mainly her love was the ocean. Emma loved to surf. Her voice always changed when she talked about it. She always sounded giddy like she was talking about the boy she was crushing on. It seemed like surfing was all she needed in life to be happy.

It made me feel like I accomplished something when she told me about her love for surfing. Simply because I was one step closer to my goal: figuring out Emma.

_________________________________

A/N: Hello everyone! So if you don't know, this is the second book in my One Direction series. I decided to post this prologue/ preview since I'm wrapping up with Running Into Destiny (Niall Horan). If you haven't checked it out yet, please do!

I am not entirely sure when I'll start posting the chapters, most likely withing the next week or so. I wanted to get a few chapters written ahead of time. But we'll have to see.

Thank you for reading, and I hope you stick around! Love you all! xoxo