Chapter 19: Lucky

Harry

"Emma, Emma can you hear me?" the lifeguard asked, one of his hands gently holding onto her wrist, the other on her waist.

The sight made my blood grow hot. This guy didn't know anything but her name and he thought he could touch her like that. Who does he think he is?

My attention returned to Emma when she let out a moan to indicate she had heard the lifeguard. I couldn't help but smirk a little when she weakly pulled her arm away from him and pushed his other hand away. Looking over the tired, yet beautiful features of her face, I caught her fluttering her eyelids open. Her eyes immediately began to search for something, only stopping when they locked with mine.

"Harry," she croaked out in a soft voice that held a minute amount of panic.

"You're okay, Em," I assured her, taking her hand in my own. She squeezed it weakly, her cold fingers trembling against the palm of my hand.

"How did I..." she tried to ask, a small crease forming inbetween her eyebrows as she struggled to speak.

"I went after you when you didn't resurface," I explained.

A kind and grateful smile formed on her slightly blue lips.

"You're an idiot," she mumbled, the smile never leaving her face.

"I know," I replied with a similar smile of my own.

"Emma..." the lifeguard spoke again.

Emma's head snapped towards the source of her name, her eyes widening profoundly. She quickly glanced back at me before looking back at the other lad. She scrammbled to sit up but the guy pushed her back down by her shoulders.

"You need to rest, Emma," he said with a way-to-friendly smile if you ask me.

"I'm fine, Jus-" she said before slapping a hand over her mouth to stop herself from finishing what she had started to say.

"What? You can't say my name in front of your boyfriend?" he asked teasingly.

"We aren't dating, just real good friends is all," Emma quickly corrected him, barely giving him the chance to finish his sentence.

"Okay," the lifeguard agreed, backing off of the subject. But even so, he didn't seem to be all to convinced by Emma's answer. Without wasting another second, the guy turned to me and extended his hand. "I'm Justin by the way."

"Hi, I'm Harry," I replied, shaking it.

"It's a pleasure to meet you," he smiled politely.

"Same to you," I spoke, not really sure if I believed what I said, yet.

"Uh, Justin, can I, uh, go now? I feel fine, really," Emma asked, trying to sound as convincing as possible.

"I suppose you can, just stay out of the water, okay?" Justin responded.

"Promise," Emma agreed before she jumped to her feet.

"Watch out for her, okay man?" Justin asked of me.

"I will, don't worry," I told him.

"Come on, Harry," Emma said, grabbing a hold of my left hand.

She wasted no time in pulling me away from whoever that Justin lad was. We sped-walked towards our group of friends. Just before we got to them though, Emma stopped walking, tugging on my hand to get me to stop as well. I turned around to face her, looking straight into her lovely blue eyes.

"Go ahead, ask me. I know you want to," she stated in a blunt manner.

There are many questions that I want to ask Emma, but it seems that I only get one answer at this moment. I will have to choose wisely.