Chapter 22: Are You Ready

March 18

Harry

I know that showing up today without any warning could be disastrous. Emma hasn't talked to me since the middle of February when I saw her last. It's now the middle of March. But I couldn't let her face today alone. It wouldn't have felt right.

As I walked up to the door of Natalie and Emma's flat, all I could feel was my stomach doing flips from all of my nerves. I didn't even feel this nervous before performing at Madison Square Garden. I have only the faintest clue as to how Emma would react to my sudden reappearance and it isn't a good one.

But still, I ring the door bell and wait patiently for someone to open the door. It was Natalie who did, causing me to let out the breath I hadn't realized that I had been holding.

"Harry, what a lovely surprise. How are you?" Natalie smiled warmly, stepping aside and ushering me inside the doorway out of the hot sun.

"I'm nervous. Emma doesn't know I'm here," I shared.

"Did she tell you about today?" Natalie asked, her eye brows furrowing, creating a crease between them.

"Uh no, I read it on her calendar," I said, licking my lips out of nervous habit.

"You silly boy," she laughed. "Well come on, I'll make you a cuppa while you're waiting. Emma is still getting ready."

"That would be lovely, thank you," I replied as I followed her to the kitchen.

"So what all do you know about today?" she asked as she filled a kettle up with water, setting it on the stove.

"I know it's a court hearing; I'm guessing for her dad's murder."

"Then you are guessing correctly," Natalie told me as she brought the tea down from the cupboard, having to stand on her tiptoes to reach it. "Do you know that if it weren't for you guys, I'd never be addicted to tea as badly as I am?"

"That's not surprising. We drink quite a bit of it," I laughed.

"Yeah, but now I do too!" she laughed with me.

"You what?" Emma asked, stepping into the kitchen.

"Drink a lot of tea," the dark brunette replied, glancing over her shoulder to look at her best friend.

"Oh why are you - Harry?" Emma spoke softly, her body frozen in shock. "What... what are you doing here? Why are you dressed like that?" she asked, pointing out my blazer and white button down shirt.

"Because I'm going with you today," I answered slowly.

"Going where? I'm not doing anything today," she replied quickly, her eyes widening in fear.

"Which explains why you're dressed in a skirt and blouse," I retorted, looking at her incredulously.

"Did you tell him?" Emma asked Natalie, her voice full of betrayal.

"No, he found out on his own," she replied, throwing her hands up in surrender.

"How?" Emma asked me, turning back to look right at me, deep sorrow in her eyes.

"It was on your calendar. I saw it as I passed by."

"So you decided you wouldn't talk to me about it. That you would just show up and expect me to be okay with it."

"I never - "

"I haven't been talking to you for a reason, Harry. You shouldn't be here. You need to leave, right now," Emma told me before I could finish or even start my previous sentence.