Chapter 17: Because It's True

Harry

I was utterly shocked. Never would I have imagined that this would be the reason that Emma was so upset and unlike herself. I didn't have the slightest clue as to what I should do to comfort her, let alone what I should say.

Just go with your instincts, Styles, I thought to myself.

I walked over to where Emma was sat on the bed and sat down beside her. I racked my brain for the right thing to say but nothing was really coming to mind, so I said the first thing I could think of.

"I'm so sorry, Em. I didn't know."

"Of course you didn't. I never told you and quite honestly I never really planned on telling you. And why? Why does everyone say that they're 'sorry?'" she asked, hastily moving away from me to the other side of the bed. Anger was flaring brightly in her dark blue eyes.

"You weren't there! You weren't the one to pull the damn trigger! You weren't the one who murdered my father right in front of me! I could have done something more to save him, Harry. My father did not need to die," Emma sobbed, pulling her knees up to her chest.

"I never said that he did, love," I said, reaching out for Emma's hand. She let me hold on to it while I talked. "We say we are sorry because that is how we feel. We could never imagine what it is like to lose a parent, especially in that way. So, we feel sad that you had to go through something like that, and we also realize that we can't possibly begin to understand how you're feeling. So saying 'I'm sorry' is really all that there is to say."

"You're an idiot," Emma mumbled under her breath as she scooted closer to me, pulling me into a tight embrace.

"I thought what I just said was pretty intelligent," I rebutted playfully.

"Maybe, but you're still an idiot," she said, giving me a weak smile.

"Maybe," I agreed, hugging her back. "Would you like to watch a movie to get your mind off of things?"

"Spider-man?" Emma asked in the softest tone I've heard her use all day. She looked up into my eyes with her dazzling blue ones from beneath her eyelashes.

"Sure, but we'll have to go to mine to watch it."

"That's fine," Emma smiled a bit more genuinely.

"Come on, let's go then," I said, standing up from the bed.

"Can I have a piggy-back ride?" she asked shyly.

"Of course," I chuckled. A large grin appeared on Emma's face and she quickly jumped onto my back. I chuckled again as I began to walk towards my flat.

I was about to open the door when I remembered Niall and Natalie were alone in my flat.

"Uh, close your eyes," I told Emma.

"Why?" she asked, and even without seeing her face I knew she was giving me a questioning look.

"I don't know about you, but I don't want to walk in on Nat and Niall shagging."

"Oh, they're not jumping each other's bones, it's too quiet," Emma stated.

"I don't wish to know how you know that," I mumbled.

"It's simple. Natalie - "

"Okay, everybody better be fully clothed in here!" I yelled as I entered my flat, successfully cutting Emma off before she could say any more. 

As I walked further into my flat and into my living room with Emma still on my back, we found the two love birds were cuddling on the couch, watching a movie. Both were fully clothed and Natalie had fallen asleep on Niall's chest, wearing his jumper.