Chapter 7: Guarded

Emma 

"Would you like to grab a cuppa with me later?" I read out loud to Natalie and Anna. Harry had sent me that text ten minutes ago and I had yet to answer.

"I think you should say yes," Natalie said as she flipped through a magazine she had bought the other day. "You two would make a cute couple. Plus Harry is a really sweet guy. He'd take care of you well."

"What the actual fuck, Natalie?" I asked completely stunned by what she was telling me.

"It's obvious that he's totally into you," she said as she glanced up at me. "What? It's true, tell her Anna."

"I've already tried but she's got a thick skull, you know that," Anna replied as she painted her toe nails a shiny new color.

"You guys are freaking ridiculous, but I'll go simply because you guys are more boring than watching grass grow," I said as I typed in a reply on my phone and hit send.

Harry: How about that cafe from the day I ran into you and Anna? I have a break in forty-five minutes, meet me there?

Me: Sure, sounds good, if I can remember how we got there

Harry: There's always the option of taking a cab.

Me: You have a point, I'll see you soon

Harry: See you :)

What in the hell am I getting myself into?

"Just so you know, I'm only here because I had nothing better to do and I wanted coffee," I said as I sat down across from Harry with my latte in hand.

"Ouch, and here I thought we had become friends," he said with a half smile, only the left side of his lips pulling up.

"I guess you could say that we have," I replied.

Before he said that I hadn't really thought much of it. Harry and I weren't strangers since we've been living in the same building for nearly a month now and are constantly around one another, but we weren't exactly friends either I don't think. And a part of me wishes that we were friends, but I usually shut that part up by saying that it is better off if we weren't. Better off for him at least.

"I'd like to say that we are, I like you," he told me with another half smile.

"I'm not sure if I like you though," I kind of joked.

"Ouch, again with the hurtful words. Are you trying to break my poor heart?" he feigned heartbreak as he clutched his chest over where his heart should be.

"It is a possibility," I shrugged with a smirk on my lips.

His jaw fell open a few centimeters before he pressed his lips together and shook his head mockingly.

"Who knew a sweet girl like yourself could be such a heart breaker?" he asked rhetorically.

"Who can really know anything if they hardly know a person?" I questioned back, taking a sip of my latte.

"Touche," he smiled. "So why don't we change that?"

I swallowed the burning liquid in my mouth quickly, nearly choking on it. "Say what now?"

"Let's change it, I'll ask you a question and in return you get to ask me one," Harry offered.

"No," I said flatly.

Harry looked at me confused, tilting his head to the side with his eyebrows pulled together.

"Why not?" he dumbly asked me.