Chapter 14: New Best Friend

December; the girl's winter break.

Harry

Despite my height, I found myself craning my neck over the groups of people, my eyes eagerly searching for the familiar faces of three American girls who have become like family to me. It had been over a three months since we had all been together. Niall had flown in to LA in November to see Natalie for her birthday, but the rest of us had stayed in London. And even though I had talked to Emma yesterday, I was becoming impatient. I wanted to see her now. I had missed her terribly. Thankfully I had convinced her to Face-Time me a couple of times because I think I would have gone mental if I hadn't been able to see her in something besides a picture the entire time we have been apart.

"There they are! I see them up ahead!" the excited Irish lad yelled as he took off into the groups of people.

I let my gaze follow him to try and find out where he had seen the trio. About eight meters ahead, Natalie dropped her bags and began running towards Niall only to be swept off her feet and spun around multiple times in his arms.

"Niall, I've missed you so much!" I heard Natalie exclaim joyously.

"I missed you way more, princess," Niall chuckled, the largest smile I had ever seen brightening up his face.

"Not possible," she said as she placed a kiss on his lips.

"Oh it most certainly is possible," Niall whispered against hers, pulling away from the kiss for only a mere second.

"Yay, PDA!" Emma exclaimed sarcastically as she walked past the couple.

I walked towards Emma, causing her to stop in her tracks. "You know, we could make it a competition," I joked.

"I'm not into those kinds of competitions, Harry," Emma rolled her eyes.

"It was just a suggestion," I replied with a smirk.

"A bad one at that," she said as she walked around me and continued on her way.

"Where are you going?" I asked, easily catching up and walking along beside her.

"To baggage claim, where else?" she said giving me a sideways glance.

"The loo, a fast food place, a cafe, there are a few more options than you realized," I smirked.

"Okay, smart ass," Emma huffed.

"I didn't know arses could be smart."

"Shut it, Styles," Emma told me off. So I shut up, because she actually sounded irritated.

Emma stood and patiently waited for her duffle bag to appear on the conveyor belt, grabbing it as soon as she could. When she turned around I noticed how tired she looked, but it wasn't from lack of sleep, though I'm sure that was a factor. She just looked drained of all life; her eyes were dull and had dark circles under them. She also moved slowly and didn't really care if it bothered others. I asked her if she was okay, but she just shrugged it off, didn't even say a word.

"Is Emma okay?" I asked Natalie when we were making our way to the cars.

"I'm not really sure, she's been like this for a while." Natalie gave me a sad smile.

"She has? Why hasn't she talked to me about it?" I mused out loud.

"Because she doesn't talk to anyone except Justin," Anna added.

"Justin?" I tilted my head to the side in curiosity.

"A long time friend of hers. He's been there for her since the beginning," Anna vaguely explained.