Chapter 27: Nothing

Emma

"Emma, you need to get out of bed today," Natalie called from the other side of my door.

"No," I mumbled softly into my comforter.

I stared at the side of my bed Harry had occupied last week when he had spent the night with me after the trial. I've stared at it for the last seven days, ever since I forced Harry out of my apartment - my life, honestly.

"Emma, Cameron has been asking about you every day. He's worried because you haven't shown up to work for a week now. You need to talk to him."

"No," I repeated.

"Emma! Open the dang door!" That time it was Anna who scolded me. "If you won't I will!"

"Go ahead," I grumbled.

"One... two... three!" Anna slammed open my door. She may be tiny, but she is mighty. If she's angry you don't want to be in her way.

"Em," Natalie sighed with empathy when she saw me in bed; my hair a knotted mess, my skin oily, and still wearing the same clothes from five days ago. "Get up, take a shower and then talk with us."

"I'm fine," I denied.

"Fine? You're fine? For crying out loud Emma, this girl I am staring at is not the same girl I call my best friend!"

"So?"

"What happened, Emma? Would you please talk to us?" Natalie asked me in her calm, sincere tone.

"Go away."

"Fine, we don't have to talk about it now, but you are getting a bath. You stink, honey," Anna sighed, her temporary anger subsiding quickly.

"I'll drown," I mumbled softly, letting my depressing thoughts slip past my lips.

"I'll make sure that you don't," Anna promised me, walking beside my bed.

"It hurts too much," I spoke out.

"What hurts too much?" Natalie asked, worried.

"Everything..." I closed my eyes.

"Hey babe," Natalie's voice carried into the bathroom from the hallway. "Out of curiosity, how is Harry doing right now?" There was a pause. "Really, okay... yeah, no. Emma... Emma isn't herself right now. Hasn't been since Harry left the day after the trial. Have you talked.. He won't either, great." Another long pause. "I don't know what happened. Harry was gone before I had gotten home from work at the surf shop, and Emma was a wreck."

I stopped listening to her conversation and slid beneath the water's surface. I felt a pinch on my arm, knowing it was Anna making sure I didn't drown myself. Ignoring her, I remained underwater for a few more seconds before coming up for air.

"Sweetie, no more of that is allowed. I don't want to have to worry about you offing yourself. Okay?" Anna told me, her tone of voice worried and a little scared it seemed.

"Okay," I replied quietly, avoiding looking her in the eyes and staring up at the ceiling instead.

"Harry is just as depressed as Emma is. He refuses to eat or leave his room," Natalie whispered to Anna as they stood across the room while I watched Supernatural on the TNT channel.

"What happened before you got home?" Anna asked.

"I have no clue! When I got home Emma was sobbing in her room with the door locked, and Harry was already gone. He took a red eye flight back home to London apparently," Natalie explained.

"Fuck, something happened between the two of them..."

"No shit, Anna. Question is, what exactly was it?"