Chapter 20: Does He Know

Emma

"Harry, please tell me what is going on!" I begged him for the umpteenth time.

"Nothing is going on," he smiled cheekily at me as we walked down the boardwalk.

"Bullshit. You made me change out of my comfy clothes and into a dress. We are walking in one of my favorite places in L.A. and oh, right, it's my birthday. Something is going on inside of that tiny brain of yours."

"Hurtful, Emma, hurtful," he pouted, jutting out his lower lip.

"Seriously Harry, where are you taking me?" I asked, tugging on his arm that I was holding on to.

"I'm taking you here," he said as he slowly came to a stop. He turned us a little to our right, and gestured to the restaurant in front of us.

It was a small, well-liked, local Chinese cafe. Everybody who's ever tried their food has fallen in love with their traditional cooking. I know because I am one of those people, all it took was an order of General Tso's chicken and a plate of pan fried noodles.

"Now I don't know if you've been here or not, but I've been told that they have really good food," he joked, eluding to the time I raved about it to him during one of our many phone calls.

"Their General Tso's chicken is to die for," I told him again, even though he already knows how much I love it.

"I can't wait to die then," he teased me. But even though I knew he was joking, I couldn't help but picture an image of him dying at the hand of Vick's jealous rage.

"Emma, is everything okay?" he asked me, placing his free hand on mine.

"Hmm? Yeah, I'm fine. It's all good," I said plastering a smile on my face.

"Let's head inside then," Harry spoke in an unconvinced tone as he opened the door for me.

"Thank you," I spoke softly, dipping my head as I walked inside the small, cozy restaurant.

The smell of a multitude of Chinese dishes being cooked all at once drifted up into my nose. The familiar scents made a real smile pull up the corners of my lips. I felt Harry's hand gently touch my arm. I lifted my gaze up to meet his, quickly losing myself in the depths of his beautiful green eyes.

"C'mon, I already got us a table," he spoke quietly, nodding his head in the direction our table was located.

"Okay," I replied, not knowing what else I should say.

Harry's hand slipped down to mine, lacing our long fingers together. Our hands are similar in size but when we held hands it felt perfect. Another smile danced on my lips as he led me to our table. I tried to remain smiling when he let go, but I was still saddened by the loss of contact between us. A few seconds after we were settled a waiter walked up to our table.

"Good evening, my name is Blake and I will be your server tonight. Can I start you off with a couple of drinks?" he asked, his glance making its way towards me more then a couple of times.

"I'll have a cherry coke, please," I replied, taking a peek at the guy's face.

He was smiling down at me and right before he turned to ask Harry what he wanted to drink, he subtly winked at me. I looked away from Blake immediately, down to my folded hands that were resting on the table top.

"I'll have the same," Harry answered the guy, his gaze never deviating from me.

"Alright, I'll be right back with your drinks," Blake said before disappearing.

I let out a sigh of relief and relaxed back in my chair. Gazing up at Harry, I was a little surprised to find an amused look in his eyes and a smirk on his lips. My brow furrowed in confusion as I tried to figure out why he would be acting like that. The longer we looked at one another, the more uncomfortable I was beginning to feel.