Chapter 21: Goodbye

Emma

Blinding light poured in through my curtains, making my already horrid headache even worse. I snuggled further beneath my blanket searching for the warmth I was encompassed by last night only to find it missing. Very carefully, I opened up my left eye into a slit, my vision still very much blurred. I found myself alone, missing the person I had shared my bed with last night.

"Is the baby kitten finally awake?" I heard his raspy morning voice ask from across my room.

"What time is it?" I moaned, stretching my long limbs beneath my blanket.

"Eleven-ish," he replied, his weight causing my floorboards to creak as he walked towards my bed. "I have some more aspirin for you if you'd like it."

"Give," I demanded, shooting my hand out from beneath my barrier from the cruel world of light.

"You'll have to come out of hiding if you want it," Harry countered.

"But the light, it hurts," I whined.

"Fine, sit up right underneath your blanket then, you weirdo," Harry chuckled at his compromise.

"Now that, I will do," I replied, slowly sitting up cross-legged, making sure to keep the blanket over my head.

"You really are weird," Harry told me as he joined me beneath the blanket, aspirin and a small glass of orange juice in one of his hands.

"Maybe, but being weird means you're awesome."

"That's what you think," Harry winked at me, a cheeky smile forming on his perfect lips.

"What?! I am so right about that," I said in order to keep myself from reacting too noticeably to Harry's wink.

Even the simplest of things that he does gets butterflies to form in my stomach. A part of me really enjoys the exotic feeling, but a part of me really wishes it would stop because I know I will miss it when I have to tell him goodbye.

"Sure you are, kitten," Harry rolled his jade shaded eyes at me.

"You're reluctant to agree because I am awesomer than you," I replied, "and you're jealous."

"Why would I be jealous of someone who is weirder than me?" he questioned, a wrinkle forming between his brow.

"I don't know, but I do know that I'll take that aspirin now, thank you," I answered, taking the aspirin and orange juice out of his hands.

I tried to avoid touching his skin as much as possible but it was simply unavoidable. The warmth of his touch had me wanting to hold onto him and never let go. Or was it my heart telling me that? Wherever that feeling was coming from, it was going to be ignored because that is what I need to do. I need to let Harry go. I can't drag this out any longer than I already have. It's unfair to him.

"What's with the sad face?" Harry asked, his hand gently rubbing up and down my arm.

"Nothing's wrong," I shrugged him off, placing the pill my mouth and washing it down with the orange juice.

"Sure there's not," he said lowly, dipping his head down so I couldn't see his face anymore.

"Really, Haz. I'm fine," I tried to sound more reassuring, resting my free hand on his left knee.

His gaze lifted enough so that he could look at me through his long, dark eyelashes. Out of what I guessed to be nervousness, Harry licked his lips, once and then a second time a few moments later. I was puzzled as to why he would be nervous though.

"Do you want to make some breakfast with me and then watch some cartoons or something?" I offered.

"Sure," he mumbled before carefully removing the blanket from over our heads.