Chapter 18: Ride The Wave

Emma

I looked down at my illuminated phone screen, and a melancholy smile appeared on my lips. A picture Harry had just sent me of him making a funny face showed on my screen in our conversation. I quickly saved it to my camera roll and sent a simple reply. Locking my phone, I ran my fingers through my damp hair.

It had been almost two months since I had last seen Harry in person, and over a week since I had last heard his voice. And I was slowly becoming painfully addicted to him. I miss him. I miss his comforting hugs. I miss the kisses on my forehead. I miss the way his lips felt on mine. I miss everything about him.

A sigh escaped my parted lips as I unlocked my screen and brought up the picture he had just sent me. I wish he were here. It's winter break from school, so I have a week off with nothing to do except for working a handful of days. The week would be far too boring without him.

I was about to lock my phone screen once more to end my torture when I received a phone call from the cheeky boy himself.

"Hi Harry!" I answered my phone happily, a big smile forming on my face.

"Hey, Em. How's California been?" he asked me, his tone equally as happy as my own.

"Same old," I replied through a sigh.

"Oh, that's good I s'pose," he said and I could tell that there was something he wanted to tell me. He sounded a little too happy for our casual small talk.

"Alright, Harry what's up? You're calling me in the middle of the night, London time."

"Actually, it's only seven in the evening where I am," he said cheerfully.

"Harry, where are you?" I asked, as I felt myself becoming extremely hopeful.

"We, as in all five of us lads, are currently in this city named L.A. Ever heard of it?" he joked.

"For how long?" I asked, as a large smile broke out over my lips.

"A week," he replied and I could tell he was smiling as well.

"So you're gonna be here for my birthday?" I asked hopefully as I played with the hem of my oversized knit sweater.

"I wouldn't even dare miss it," he replied sweetly. "Now, I am really sorry to end our call so soon, but I need to go and see a beautiful blond and give her a hug."

"O-oh, okay. I'll see you later then?" I asked quietly.

"Sooner than you think, kitten," he chuckled.

"Bye, Harry," I said, not really listening to him anymore, as I picked at one of my already chipped finger nails.

"Bye, Emma," he replied before ending the call.

I threw my phone to the other end of the couch. Harry was in L.A. and the first place he was going to was to some blond bimbo's house before he even -

A loud knock at the front door stopped me from finishing that thought. Sighing, I got up from my perch on the couch and made my way to the door. I didn't even pause to look in the mirror and make sure I looked presentable. Swinging the door wide open, I scowled at whomever was behind it. But as quick as my scowl had formed, it was replaced by a bright smile.

"Harry!" I exclaimed joyously, nearly tackling him to the ground in a hug.

"Hey, beautiful," Harry whispered into my ear. His familiar accent effectively sent chills down my spine.

"I thought you had to - "

"I was talking about you," he cut me off, a small smile dancing on his lips.