Chapter 25: Can't Do This

Emma

"Good morning, kitten," Harry's low morning voice rasped when he finally awoke and realized I had been watching him.

"I'm sorry we couldn't go out last night," I blurted out.

Harry's chest rumbled quietly with soft laughter. "No need to be sorry, you had a long day yesterday. It was exhausting, which I understand completely."

A smile brushed across my lips as my gaze dropped to my folded hands that rested in my lap.

"We could go tonight, that is if you would still like to," Harry offered.

"Okay," I answered quietly.

"Okay," Harry repeated, his tone blatantly happy. "What time is it?"

"A little bit after eight, I believe."

"It's so early," he whined childishly, rolling over so he could hide his face in the pillow he had used last night. "Why are you awake?"

"I have to work soon."

"When will you be done?" Harry turned his face so he could peek at me from the pillow.

"Three, I believe," I replied with a sigh, running a hand through my hair.

"If you want I could pick you up and we could go out afterward."

"That seems fine."

"All right, where do you work again?"

"The surf shop that's on the boardwalk, ocean side."

"Right, I knew that," he mumbled into the pillow.

"I have to get ready for work now," I told him as I climbed out of my shared bed.

Harry responded with a groan as he grew comfortable and began to fall asleep once more.

I grabbed my bikini and rash guard along with a pair of shorts before I began to walk out of my bedroom. Stopping at my door, I looked back at Harry over my shoulder. Biting my bottom lip and squeezing my eyes shut, I suppressed the joy that was bubbling inside of me. I can't be happy about last night and how he sang to me as I fell asleep. I can't be happy because it can't happen again. No matter if Vick is locked in jail or not, I can't be with Harry. He'd still be in danger. I won't risk him getting hurt, or worse.

Taking in a deep breath I slowly let it out and shut my bedroom door. I walked away from a sleeping Harry and the joy I felt from spending the night in his arms. As I shut that door, I shut the door that held the chance to be in a relationship with Harry as well.

"Hello, I'm looking for Emma Sanders. Is she out teaching a lesson?" I heard Harry ask from the front of the store.

"No, she's in the back waxing some boards," Cameron, my boss, replied from behind the front counter. "Would you like me to get her for you?"

"That would be wonderful, thank you."

Cameron's footsteps echoed down the short corridor as he made his way to the back room where I have been working for the past few hours.

"Emma, there's a young man looking for you. Tall, curly hair, looks and sounds a hell of a lot like Harry Styles. You know him?"

"Yeah, I do. How do you know him?" I chided him.

"I have a thirteen year old daughter who's head over heels 'in love' with him."

"I see," I smirked, "is it really three o'clock already?"

"On the dot. The boy is punctual."

"When you have a crazy schedule like his, you have to be. But, time flies when you're waxing boards. See you tomorrow, Cameron," I smiled as I leaned the surfboard back against the rack.