Chapter 3: Scares Me

Harry

As much as I love going to the studio to practice and record our new songs, a part of me didn't want to be here. I felt like I was wasting time that could be better used. Time that could be used to get to know Emma better. I wanted to figure out what makes her tick, what makes her happy, whether she preferred scary movies over romance movies, how she likes her tea, all of the things that make her, her.

I closed my eyes because yet again I let her cross my mind when I should be focusing on my music. Running a hand over my face I let out a long sigh. Between my exhaustion and lack of focus, today was not turning out to be a good day and I think the lads noticed it.

"Harry, you okay there mate?" Louis asked from the couch outside of the sound booth.

"I'm tired, that's all," I spoke into the mic.

"Why don't you take a break then; Zayn can have a go," James, one of the producers we were working with suggested.

I nodded my head in agreement and took off the set of headphones that were around my neck. Standing up I made my way out of the booth. Zayn patted me on the shoulder as we passed each other. I fell down onto the couch between Niall and Louis and leaned my head back, trying to relax.

"What's got you all in a mess?" Louis asked as he nudged my arm with his elbow.

"I couldn't sleep last night, my mind wouldn't shut down," I mumbled.

"Anything in particular on your mind? Maybe a certain girl perhaps?" I could easily hear the teasing in Louis' tone as he asked me those questions.

"So what if there was?" I replied with a question of my own.

"No reason, I've just never seen you this hung up over a girl. Normally you would have given up by now."

"I don't know mate, I just find something about her to be very intriguing. She's different from most. I like how she isn't throwing herself at me."

"Well get used to it from her because she doesn't seem to like any of the male population. Such a shame, a pretty girl like her could have any guy she wanted with a snap of her fingers."

"Emma isn't pretty, she's beautiful, and I've already gone that round with her. Be smarter than me and don't accuse her of being a lesbian," I shrank back at the memory of last night and my stupid way of trying to joke with her. Louis and Niall burst out laughing, I had kind of forgotten that Niall was sitting on my other side.

"You asked her if she was a lesbian? Are you kidding me?" Niall laughed.

"No, well I didn't ask her right out. She had been on the phone.. Oh just forget it. I'm going to go find something to eat," I said as I stood up. "Anybody else want some food?"

"Definitely," Niall replied as he looked at his glowing mobile screen, a smile instantly spreading across his face.

"I'll take something," Liam answered from his seat next to James.

"Me too," Louis replied.

"Okay, I'll get something for Zayn too then," I said as I headed towards the door.

I took a deep breath of fresh air as the doors closed behind me. Looking up and down the street, I tried to decide where I wanted to go. Figuring I'd figure it out as I headed up the street, looking through the windows of the shops I passed. About two blocks up I noticed a familiar looking tall blond and a petite, light brunette walk into the coffee shop I used to stop in regularly before tour. I couldn't help the smile that reached my lips as I walked into the same cafe, and had my hunch to be proven true. The two girls I had seen were Emma and Anna, they were seated in one of the small booths in the back. After ordering lunch and tea for the lads and myself, I made my way to where they were seated.