Chapter 13: Drowning

Warning: There are a lot of POV changes. Sorry about that...

Emma

Everything has changed. My feelings towards Harry, the way I look at him. He isn't just some boy that I met and became friends with anymore. He is a friend that I'm starting to see in a new light and I'm scared because I don't think this kind of feeling is one to come and go easily. I think it's here to stay for a while, and that's not something that I am used to.

I'm not used to feeling this way about any one. For the longest time I have forced any kind of emotion like that away simply because it is best if I don't become attached, for both myself and the other person. But it's becoming far to hard to ignore my feelings towards Harry. All I want to do is give in even though I know it is not a possibility. It is honestly in Harry's best interest if he never finds out that I may like him more than a friend.

Harry, though... he's just so different. He makes me smile when I don't want to. He can hold an intellectual conversation with me, as opposed to one that consists only his music or my surfing escapades. I feel like he sees the real me and accepts me for who I am, whoever that may be. It's for these reasons and so many more that I want to just let go of my past and never look back.

"Earth to Emma?" Harry asks as he gently nudges my arm, luring me out of the depths of my thoughts.

"Where have I heard that one before?" I question back, attempting to sound happier than I am. But my voice still sounds hollow, even to me.

Because it doesn't matter that I will see Harry in a couple of weeks; I don't want to say goodbye to the only guy who has been able to sneak past my defenses. 

"Haven't got the faintest idea, kitten," he smiled, and I smiled back without hesitation.

"Oh I'm sure," I teased him playfully, gently pushing at his massive bicep.

Harry pretended to stumble sideways which led to him actually tripping over his own large feet and falling flat on his butt. He looked up at me in surprise and I burst out laughing at his ridiculous facial expression, clutching my sides desperately. No more than a second later I heard Harry's deep laughter mix with mine.

"That wasn't supposed to happen," he smiled as he stood up from the floor.

"Uh huh, sure Haz, I believe you," I told him as I wiped a few tears from my eyes and let out one last chuckle.

"No you don't," he pouted.

"You're right, I don't. But even so, that pretty much made my day," I giggled.

"You're evil, you know that?" he said smiling once again.

"I do actually. It's on my resume," I joked.

Harry laughed and picked me up in his arms, spinning me around and around. I squealed in delight and soon after began laughing again.

"Harry! Put me down!" I managed to say through my laughter.

"Never!" he shouted, laughing as well.

When he finally put me down, I playfully smacked his arm and crossed my arms over my chest.

"Who's the evil one now? Coz it isn't me!" I asked.

"Me," Harry smiled proudly, showing off his adorable dimples. If it weren't for those dimples, Harry might stand a chance at convincing me that he was really evil.

"Why don't we go and see what Natalie and Niall are doing?" I suggested.

"They're probably sucking each other's faces off," Harry pointed out.