13: My Speech

Katniss POV
After I sang, I sat down at the table with Peeta and my friends.
Finnick exclaims. "And than Annie took my sugar cubes away and it was so mean!"
I laugh. "Finnick, I think you know why she took them."
He pouts. "But it's so mean!!!!!"
I roll my eyes and Johanna states. "I'll never know why on Earth you like those."
Finnick rolls his eyes at her.
They continue to argue and Clove yells, "Shut it both of you!"
Glimmer says, "Okay peace and quiet."
Marvel groans. "Ugh you girls with your peace and quiet."
Cato whines, "Can't you live with one hour of loudness."
Clove shouts, "No!"
Everyone looks at us and Peeta nudges me. "Maybe you should make that speech you've been working on."
"Good idea." I reply.
Standing, I walk to mom.
"Mom, can I do my speech?"
She turns around, stopping her conversation with the Mellarks and Odairs.
"Sure." Mom replies.
I nod before walking up to the microphone. Looking around the room, Prim smiles at me, her friend Rue does the same, my friends giggle and point. Peeta shows a thumbs up.
Tapping the microphone a few times gets people's attentions.
"Hello people. Thanks for your attention."
That gets laughs from the crowd.
"Well I spent an hour on this, I have Peeta to prove it."
Another laugh.
"Okay I will start."
Unfolding the crumpled piece of paper, I do the routine Peeta told me to do.
Deep breath in.
Deep breath out.
Speak.
Repeat.
"My dad meant everything to me. To my family too. When I was little and we didn't have enough money to live, he would take me hunting. With a bow in one hand, he also sang. His voice was beautiful. When I got nightmares, it would comfort me. People say the birds even stopped to listen. My dad was amazing at everything. Caring, nice, kind. He always wanted to help people."

Taking a breath, I look around. My mom has tears in we eyes. Most of the adults do. Prim is trying not to cry. My friends look at my concerned. Peeta has a sad smile on his face.
"It wasn't until I was sixteen, that I realized something. We were earning more and more money. Some nights, I remember waking to my mom and dad talking. About how they were moving back to District 12. I was confused. On why we moved if we were just going to move back. Than they told us. Prim was growing up so fast. So we moved back. And that changed my life forever."
That's when I make eye contact with Peeta. He looks confused. I smile a little tears also threaten to spill.
"I met this boy. My age super cute and super nice. Blonde hair blue eyes boy who changed my life. When we met at Annie's and Finnick Odair's wedding, that's when it started. I only heard about love from my mom and dad. I never knew I would fall in love."
"But then I did. Peet Mellark has changed my life forever. We knew our parents were enemies and we kept our love secret. Until we had a small fight and we kissed in front of them. Our families wanted to separate us. And I hated that part of my life. Peeta is now back from Australia and is my boyfriend."
"I could never have a better boyfriend than him. He is amazing. Even though we will go through many challenges in life, I love him. So so much and no one can change it. My dad helped me through many things. And life is a cycle. That goes round and round. Now that my dad is gone, I would be still crying in bed not moving. If it weren't for Peeta. Again, Peeta Mellark I love you. Thank you."

Happy tears fall from mine and Peeta's eyes as I run over to him. His arms wrap around my waist and mine go to his hair and neck. And in the matter of seconds my lips crash into his.
"Katniss Everdeen you are my everything. I love you so much."
I kiss hm back.
"I love you too so much Peeta Mellark."
Peeta Mellark is my rock. And that is all that matters.