【XVI】: Left Behind

Baekhyun's POV

I carried Jihyun in my arms as I bounce him up and down. His giggles make me feel better.

I'm sitting down on a wheelchair waiting for Qri to come back. She said she already got the doctor's permission to have me discharged here in the hospital. Well that's good. I'm getting sick of the hospital's scent.

And after that day,I haven't seen the girl since then. Maybe she already gave up following me around. Tsk. I don't need her. I already have my wife in my life.

Just like Qri said,I don't need to remember my past life. I know that. With her help,we'll make new memories along with our child,Jihyun.

"Dada,do you love mama?" Jihyun looks at me with twinkling eyes. I lowered down my head to kiss his forehead. "Ofcourse. I love her."

"Ywayyy! But dada,I'm afwaid you'll leave us again." Jihyun said as he looks down on my lap. I heard him starting to sniff.

I smiled as I stroke his hair.

"Never."

---
Samantha's POV

I look at Taehyung with a puzzled expression as he stopped the car on the side of the road. What now?

"I'm going to put this on." He brought up the necklace from the spa we went to earlier. "Oh,right."

Holding the necklace that he had snatched from the stylist,he gently sweeps his hands around to the back of my neck.

Taehyung's going to do this for me himself.

Our sudden closeness and the unexpectedness of his action sends my heart confusingly racing even faster.

His fingertips brushed the nape of my neck,left bare by my short hair. "Now you're set."

"Umm. Thank you." A delicate necklace that sets off my dress perfectly now glitters around my neck.

Taehyung bounced back to his seat as he gives me a smirk. "Every dog needs a collar." A collar!?

My spirits,which had soared high against all reason,are instantly plunged back down into a bottomless pit.

Okay I'm done with his shit.

----

At the event.

I gulped down once again. C-crap. How is this going to go?

As soon as we arrive the party,I feel a flood of nervousness. Such a swanky affair.. There's no way I can pull this off.

It's obvious at a glance that these party guests move in high-society circles of luxury.

There are women in extravagant dresses and gowns that look straight out of a ball,making me acutely conscious how different their world is from mine. "Well,it's certainly been a while,Taehyung."

"Yes,too long." A korean-faced woman dressed in such high fashion approaches Taehyung with a million dollar smile. Some acquaintance of Taehyung's,I guess.

Foreign people and also some koreans are mixed up in this formal event huh.

The woman,clad in a fancy gown,flicks a glance at me. "Is she your date? I don't believe we've met." Damn. H-how do I handle this situation?

"N-nice to meet you. I'm Samantha Kim." I introduced myself with a cracking voice. I feel like my nervousness is going to eat me up any moment.

"Ms. Samantha Kim,is it? I'm afraid I don't recall hearing that name anywhere before." She said while twirling the wine in her wine glass.

"No? Uh.." Not knowing what to do,I lowered down my head. At this rate,I'd just keep embarrassing myself.

"Why would you have? She is making her debut in society this evening." Seeing me flailing around for what to say,Taehyung throws a lifeline.

"If you would excuse us.." Taehyung said as he slips a hand around my waist. As though to prevent me from having a nervous breakdown on the spot,he whisks me away from the woman.

"Get a hold of yourself! You don't look as out of place as you think." Taehyung turns to face me with a grave look on his face. I can't argue anymore and I just kept lowering down my head. "But everyone's staring."

I feel tears well up in my eyes as I recall what the woman said. She's right. I can't fit in.

Taehyung gets a hold of my chin and raised my head up to meet his gaze. "How do you know it's not because you look so cute?"

What? C-cute!?

Taehyung scoffed as he looks around. "People judge each other based on clothes."

"Um. So the clothes you got me are working?" I asked. Taehyung returns his gaze back to me again. "To me,you don't look out of place. So find some composure!"

That's easy for you to say but--

"You're the best looking woman at this party,anyway."

What?

My face turns beet red,and my pulse goes racing again. D-did he just--?

"Little hot in here,I think?"

"U-uhh. Yeah." Crap. I can't look him square in the face right now.

"Wait here. I'll bring you something cold to drink." Taehyung claps a hand on my shoulder before turning around to leave. "Yeah that would be great."

Taehyung goes to flag down a waiter,while I take a deep breath.

Damn. My heart is still racing like crap.

I desperately want my heart to stop thumping so loud,but I just can't manage it.

It's not that his compliment made me happy,it's just that it came out of nowhere.

I keep trying to talk myself down. But Taehyung showing me such kindness is so unprecedented that I'm reeling a little. At this point,I'm going to lose it!

Cradling my face in my hands,I find my eyes tracking Taehyung as if drawn by a magnet.

I'm gazing at his back as he talks to the waiter when someone addresses me.

"Excuse me,are you Ms. Samantha Kim?"