Chapter 1: The accident

I watched as the rain pounded against the windows, and the lighting added light to the dark blue sky. I looked down at the photo I held in my hands. It was a photo of my parents and I, I was only three in the photo and that year we had been a close family. But now they were more interested in the world than in me, they travel all over helping save it.

“Adrene, it is nearly midnight you should get some rest.” That was my Aunt Lisa, she was like my parent and she knew I was awaiting my parent’s arrival and I knew Aunt Lisa was as well. I had waited hours in this exact spot but they never showed.

“Yeah one minute Aunt Lisa.”

I put the photo back in it’s place looked out the window once more just waiting for a car to pull into the driveway but nothing so I walked upstairs.

“Why hadn’t my parents come home? Did they really care about me?  Or even ever? Am I going to see them?” I thought to myself, I eventually forced myself to put these thoughts aside and go to sleep. Tomorrow I would turn eighteen and just live life and if my parents didn’t just leave. But that I knew wasn’t true.

   “Sara, Sara I’m not saying that.” Aunt Lisa was talking to my mum; I quietly got up from my bed and listened through the door.

“Sara, no, Sara wait. Hello?” Aunt Lisa groaned, typical mum when she couldn’t lie anymore she gave it to the next person in line, it really pissed Aunt Lisa off.

“David, where are you guys? Okay one second and I’ll go get her.” Aunt Lisa came into my room her black hair covered her annoyed face, she handed me the phone. I looked up to her with a questioning look as if I heard nothing. She moved her hair away from her face and mouthed, “Your Dad.”

I brought the phone to my ear and waited. “Hello?” I asked trying to sound happy that they at least called.

“Adrene, it’s me Dad.”

“Hi Dad.”

“Happy Birthday sweetheart!” He said into the phone practically as if he was standing right beside me.

“Thanks so where are you?”

“Well sweetheart we’re uh still in India. Something came up and we have to stay longer.” No surprise I knew they were still somewhere, they always are.

“Oh I see.” I heard him sigh.

“Yes I know we won’t be home yet, but we wish we were.”

“I understand.” I understood but still I felt like crying, hanging up the phone and not speaking to them until I saw them at home. But I didn’t I knew it would make matters worse.

“Well I hope we see you very soon sweetheart.”

“Okay, Love you Dad and tell Mum I love he as well.”

“Love you too sweetheart.”

“B-.” Then the dead silence of the phone came without a goodbye. I put the phone on my bed and walked to the bathroom. My tangled brown hair was everywhere and my blue eyes seemed to look dull by the redness that surrounded it, I had been crying.

I got dressed nothing out of the ordinary, Jeans, a new white tank top and a navy blue sweater. I then walked downstairs to find Aunt Lisa had already gone to work but left a note.

Adrene,

Happy eighteenth Birthday. Sorry I am already gone it seems the newspaper needs me early today. I will see you after I get home.

Love, Aunt Lisa…

I put the note back on the counter top and gathered my things for school. I walked outside and I felt the cool breeze wake me up.

While walking I admire the forest, but I swear I saw someone. I kept walking and heard the sound of leaves crunch and twigs snap. I looked around to see no one but being curious I made my way into the forest. I walked a little and saw nobody, but as I walked deeper into the forest I reached a lake with a waterfall. I walk across the rocks leading into the water and heard more twigs snap behind me. I turned my entire body around in a swift movement. I started to lose balance on a rock I was standing on and slipped. I hit my head off another and fell into the water.

At this point I feel no pain but I know I am going to die. I am sinking and I try to move but I cannot, my body a paralyzed prison. Soon my lungs begin to hurt, how long would it be till this retched pain would end? How long would it be till people find my body lying on the water’s bed? My eyes now slowly closing and I saw him, then everything around me went black and I sank deeper.

I woke up in a hospital, I was alive. I looked down to see Aunt Lisa her head pressed against my murky stained shirt.

“Aunt Lisa,” I tried to move her hair out of her face.

“Adrene…” She said as if she were hearing me call her to heaven. Then her brown eyes shot open from the dream and she grabbed me, holding me tight. As if making sure I would not float away.

“Adrene! You’re alive!” Tears feel down her face. “What happened? I asked losing all memory of this morning.

“You were in the woods and cracked your head open on a rock. Then you fell in and were almost dead but someone found you and brought you into the hospital.”

I remember everything now, the pain, the urgency to feel air fill my lungs again. Then I saw him, his hair was dark and tousled, and even when I was on the brink of death I felt his body enclosed around mine. I felt him pulling me from the mouth of death that had been slowly swallowing my body. But who was he?

Aunt Lisa took me home around one o’clock and then went back to work. After she left I went upstairs to have a hot bath. The clothes I was wearing were glued to my body from the cold water.

I turned the faucet on and watched the steaming hot water fill the bath. I got in and let my body soak itself. I closed my eyes and tried to relax, but how could I? I was in a bath full of water and every time I shut my   eyes I saw myself drowning, I felt the pain come back. I got out of the bath and put on my pyjama’s and went to find something else relaxing.

We are gathered here today to mourn over the loss of a beloved friend, niece, daughter, and so much more. Adrene Dawn just turned eighteen the morning she drowned, it was just an accident. An accident that has brought us here today. I would like you all to bow your heads and pray your own silent prayer.”

“Now I would like to invite Adrene’s Aunt Lisa up to say a few words.”

“Well I couldn’t bring myself to write a speech. All you really need to know is--.” Lisa brushed her hand across the coffin and sighed. “All you need to know is, is Adrene was like a daughter to me--.” She looked down at her hands and took a deep breath. “I was like her parent,because her parents were gone saving the world, but they didn’t save our Adrene. Adrene was my world, I hope that where ever she is that she is happy.”

“No, No, NO!” I screamed.

My eyes shot open and I realized it was a dream. I looked over at my alarm clock to see it was four A.M.