Chapter 6: The Secret

       "They never loved you, they didn't want to be your parents. They left you... They never loved you..."  Julia voice echoed in my mind.

     I woke up in my room it wasn't even one in the afternoon yet. Julia was right, they left me, never loved me. I started to cry, sobbing into my blanket filled hands. Still crying I took the photo of my parents on my night stand and threw it. The glass smashed against the hardwood floor.

     "I hate you!" My door opened and a blurred vision of a person came towards me. It came closer and took me in it's arms, Lucas. I pressed my head into his chest and cried while he stroked my hair.

     "Adrene it's alright, it's alright." Lucas said and I cried a little more but finally calmed down.

     "Go have a hot shower and I'll make some tea. Then you can tell me what is going on ok?" I nodded, I didn't want to speak. I looked down at the shattered glass and went to the shower.

     The bathroom was filled with steam, The hot water made my body relax, my headache ease and all my thoughts were taken away with the steam. I dried off and put my flannel pyjama pants on with an old t-shirt, I let my hair flow loose in wet curls. I started to walk downstairs to the kitchen and I could smell the tea.

     "I hope the tea will do." Lucas said as he handed me a mug. I brought the mug to my lips, the tea burned my lips and tongue but it settled.

     "It's perfect," I left my head down until Lucas took my hand and lifted my face.

     "Come on we'll go sit on the couch."

     I sat on the couch with my knees up to my face. I had told Lucas everything that happened and everything Julia had said. "And I smashed that picture because I'm mad at them. Maybe Julia was right." I said. Lucas pulled me close, "No she wasn't. Your parents love you, and why wouldn't they? You never give up you can do anything, and you are so beautiful. They have no reason not t love you."

     This time I cried but just softly. Then Lucas kissed me, and I don't know if it was to make me happy or just to get me to stop crying. But whatever the reason I didn't care as long as he was kissing me. We eventually pulled away and started to watch"Leap Year". We both fell asleep half hour through the movie. We woke up when Aunt Lisa came in.

     "Adrene, Adrene....oh" Aunt Lisa said as she saw Lucas and I.

     "Hey, Aunt Lisa." She looked down at me then at Lucas, and then the blanket around us both.

     "What is going on?" Aunt Lisa demanded.

     "I think I should go home, night Adrene." And with that Lucas escaped where as I was trapped.

     "Why didn't the school call saying you came home? Huh?"

     "I don't know Aunt Lisa. I'm going to bed."

     "Fine, alright." Aunt Lisa understood now that I had explained to her that Lucas brought me home and we don't know why the school didn't call.

     In the morning my alarm went off. I hit the snooze button on it and went downstairs to find Aunt Lisa in the kitchen cooking her breakfast.

     "Aunt Lisa I feel sick." She turned around to feel my forehead, "You don't feel sick, you don't look it either."

     That's because I'm not. I just want to stay home because I don't want to face Julia, because I'm hiding out at home like a child. " I really do feel sick. I puked this morning and didn't get much sleep either." Lies is what that was. I slept all night and never puked this morning.

     " I guess you could stay home. Just go back upstairs and go to sleep." She kissed my forehead and shooed me upstairs. "Ok." I grumbled. Once upstairs I texted Lucas.

     Staying home because of Julia, did you want to come over later?

     It wasn't till I came back from the bathroom that I saw he texted back. "Alright."  I crawled undernieth my comforter and reached for my phone. "I'll text you when Lisa is gone." I put my phone on the night stand, and drew the covers over my face so the sun was blocked.

     "Adrene, I'm leaving!"

     Once I heard the door slam I waited till I saw Aunt Lisa drove off. " Hey Lisa just left come over whenever, I'm just going to have a shower so come in if I don't go to the door."

     After my shower I found Lucas texted back. "Text when you're done."

     "Done."

    I was downstairs getting breakfast when Lucas came in. "Hey," He said as he shut the door. "Hey," I said

     "After your done do you want to go out?"

     "Uh, sure." I said, there was something in Lucas' eyes that told me this "going out" had a purpose.

     I was sunny outside but I still brought my sweater, because in London you never know. Lucas and I walked down the River's edge, the sun shore out through the near by tree's and touched the moving water.

     "Adrene are you going to play sick forever now? 'Cause I'm sure your Aunt will catch on."

     "Not forever, just a couple days. Until I can face Julia." Lucas took my hand,"You have to face her either way, hiding out wont stop it." I looked up at him, "I know but it makes me feel better Lucas."

     "What about this?"-Lucas kissed me-" Does that make you feel better?"

    I laughed, "Loads." 

*****************************

     "Where are we going?" I asked still having my eyes shut.

     "You'll see."

     WE finally stopped and Lucas told me to open my eyes. In front of me was a waterfall and a ake surrounded by moss covered rocks and trees, this is the spot I almost died.

     "Do you like it?" Lucas' voice broke through my thoughts.

     "I, uh, I do." Lucas smiled and sat on a rock and invited me to sit beside him but I didn't flinch. The only part of me that was moving were my eyes.

     "What's wrong?" Lucas asked coming over and pushing my hair away from my face.

    "It's just this, I uh, I almost drowned here."

     "Adrene, do you want to leave?" Lucas asked, "No,no. It's fine I want to be here with you because I--" Did I want to say love? Of course I did but I just couldn't say it. Why is this stupid for letter word so hard to say?--" I really like you, a lot."

    Lucas smiled and kissed me, "Really 'cause I"- he looked straight at me-" I love you." I started to cry and kissed him back. I pulled my hands up from his neck and held his head. "I love you too." I laughed and Lucas pushed the tears away.

    "Hey, why are you crying?"

     "It's happy crying." We both smiled and we kissed once more, then Lucas tried to say something.

     "Adrene I have to tell you something." Lucas took a few steps back. "I've wanted to tell you forever but I didn't know how to say it." What was happening? Lucas looked around as if making sure no one else was around.

     "Adrene, I'm an angel....." The rain started to pour when Lucas outstretched his wings, and I stood frozen.