Chatper 26: Guardian

Chapter 26: Guardian 

       (Adrene's p.o.v.)

       Sleeping wasn't an option, and neither was calling Lucas' name. I couldn't sleep because I didn't know if they were coming or where they were. I couldn't call Lucas' name because again I didn't know if they were near. If I called his name and he heard me what good would that do? It was pitch black, how would he know he wasn't dreaming? It was all to risky. 

Hours later.... 

    The sun shone bright against my clo...CLOSED EYES! I had fallen asleep! My eyes shot open to see that it was not sun shinning bright but fire lit torches, and a fire pit. My eyes furiously scanned the area to see Lucas, he was tied to a stake across the field like before.  I saw hunters surrounded by Lucas, he looked at me with weary eyes. As the hunters walked away I saw his arms left with more carvings and below his feet was dead grass.  "Lucas!" I let my voice say.   The hunters turned to me and smiled, one in particular came up to me. He was young but a year or two older than I. His face was scruffy with little hairs and dark from dirt. 

    "Theys be startin' now miss." He said smirking. I looked at him and he spoke again. "You's see, theys be killin' 'im." 

      "They can't, only I can." I said 

      "Mhmm thats be true, but they be killin' ' is soul. Soon enough you's be wantin' to kill ' im ye self. ' is soul will go dark and ye be scared then." I looked away from him and up into the sky, knowing he was lying. "You liar." 

     "I be no liar miss. I be the one to kill 'is soul."  I looked back at him and he simply smiled as he started to walk over to the fire. He picked up a torch and lit it. " LUCAS!" I screamed trying to break free of my bonds. He got closer and closer. The closer he got the more my heart broke, the more I choked on the words "everything will be fine". I didn't know what the word fine meant anymore. 

     Lucas didn't flinch, he watched the man get closer. As he lit the grass Lucas looked at me with a goodbye. I cried as he writhered in pain.  The fire became bright red starting to cover his body. I squirmed trying to break free...no use. He opened his mouth to scream as the flames licked his bleeding arms but no words came out. The fire had soon enough swallowed him and killed him.  "Ye see miss! ' is soul be nothin' but darkness and fire! Ye be doin' ye self a favour when ye decide to kill ' im!" The man yelled to me.  "You MURDERER!" I cried and looked away crying as my heart burned from the sight of Lucas' dead body. 

(Lucas' p.o.v.) 

     The flames had taken me in furiously. I had no strength to fight back and so I let them consume me, it only hurt more to see Adrene watching it and unable to fight aswell.  I could still feel the fire on my skin, its burning sensation cut my thoughts. It was dark until I heard them. "Dust..." They said softly and deadly. "Yes....Lucas....Dust." Their voices were heard in every direction. "Come Lucas ....come." I felt the urge to follow the voice...I felt lured by it like a sailor to a siren. 

      I came to a burning red castle, and I saw them. Beautiful spirits, they were gliding through the sky. "Lucas..." One came close to me, she was clear, you could see the images behind her through her. She looked at me and I heard her voice. "Lucas...come....come..." Her mouth never moved, her voice was inside my head. I followed her through the castle up and down stair wells. Many other spirits passed in whispers.  What were they?

    "We are....siren spirits." I felt my heart stop, siren spirits. I had heard stories of them. They came to those who died and took their spirits. They so called "saved" them from darkness and despair when really that is what they caused you. They never let you leave their castle. 

      "Lucas..." Their voices were now chilling and deadly.  After I was in my room I tried to escape. But my body collapsed to the floor, I had become weak. "Lucas Dust..." A new voice called out. "Show....wings." The door to my room had opened and I now appeared to be in a ballroom. Siren spirits everywhere.

     I learnt they would keep me safe if I showed them my wings, and so I did. But as soon as I did they all swarmed after me, ripping with their claws at my wings. By the end of the night I lay there on the floor in pain, my wings bare bone.  "Lucas.." They called my name and I fled. I ran through the entrance doors of the castle and fled into the dark forest.  "Lucas...Lucas..." They repeated my name in my mind, but this time it wasn't sirens calling my name but Adrene.

       "Adrene!" I yelled, running through the forest faster than I had been before. I searched for Adrene, I saw her laying on the ground.  "Lucas...". I came close to her and rested my hand upon her cheek  I kissed her softly. "Lucas no! Lucas stop it! It burns! Help!" Adrene began to shake, crying and screaming in pain. "Lucas make it stop! Help! Lucas!"   Her body was on fire and I didn't know what to do. "Adrene!" I screamed as she looked at me.  "LUCAS.....HE...LP..." She closed her eyes and her head fell. 

     "Adrene, no, no. Come back." I kissed her. "Adrene, no, come back."  "Lucas," Their whispers grew louder. It was a trick, Adrene wasn't here, wasn't hurt. "Nooo...." They said.  "Get out of my head!" 

     "Lucas..." Their screaming voices burned my ears. "Lucas..."  

      "GET OUT OF MY HEAD!" I yelled.

       "Lucas..." My ears bled as their screams grew louder.  "GET OUT!" I cried.

       "Lucas, you are a guardian." A male voice said soothingly. "You are stronger than this. Fight it, be the guardian you are destined to be...fight it..."