Part 3

"Indeed. But it could have been a lot worse." And that was Peter's pessimistic way of seeing things, but with a hint of relief in that rare case.

"We were extremely lucky." Vincent said, and everyone's faces turned to him. He wouldn't say they were shocked, but surprise and disbelief was definitely there. Even Kyra's poker face in the rear view mirror, showed some for a split second. So he felt the need to clarify: "Well if we had to go through all the manhunt like we were planning, the risk of exposure would have grown exponentially with every person involved and every day she was out there. All her potential victims from this day 'till we would have eventually caught her were also adding to the danger. Should I even mention the risk of her getting caught by a faction of the races not sympathetic to us?"

"O.K., I have to agree when you put it that way: we were lucky. Right now though we need to figure this out and what to do next. Kyra, head to the safe house near Oakwood Park! We can hold her there till we convene the Keeper Council and decide what to do next." Peter answered, making an action plan.

"Kyra please take us to the Wheeler Airport instead. I have a helicopter waiting. We can be in Chicago and have her contained in less than 4 hours. I doubt your safe house here in Kansas City is 'built to contain'. And it would take you at least as much time to get a proper security detail sorted and reinforce the safe house even to minimum standards for such a situation." Vincent interjected and waited for the stormy reply.

"I don't think it's a good idea; we could just wait a little longer here in K.C. and get things sorted, then call an emergency meeting which could happen as fast as in 3 days. The proper protocol says neutral ground until a Council decision is made." Peter argued vehemently.

"Fine, if you insist. As the intended victim of the attack, I claim the right to hold captive my attacker until such a time that a proper decision and/or trial and punishment is set by the Council. As per our rules, I declare that this decision is made objectively and I intend no harm to my captive. Kyra, airport please!" Vincent said again, but this time switching his tone from asking to demanding. Both she and Manny were tensing, preparing for a possible confrontation. Kyra was looking at Peter, waiting for a sign as to how to proceed, but so far she hadn't changed direction.

"This is highly irregular Vincent! Do I need to remind you what happened last time to John?" Peter answered, clearly angry at Vincent's invocation of one of the less used rules they had, but still trying to convince him to change his mind. A rule that had cost a Keeper his position just a few hundreds of years before.

*Author's Note

Many thanks for the reads, comments and votes (hopefully :D ).