Part 4

<<<Karl's recollection of the events, continued:

Ratchet is holding a Mossberg's 590 A1 Pump action shotgun and from the looks of it, it's the kind that holds 9 rounds. So he still has 8 available.

"Now that I have your attention," he says to all of us, "firstly who do you think you are to come into my bar and pick on my patrons?" he adds, obviously talking to me and Manny.

"Let go of him!" he yells at Manny and I nod in approval.

"Move to your buddies" he makes a gesture to Bob, indicating to him to move away.

"And you two pricks, 4 dollars for the beers and 400 for the ceiling and you'd better have it on you!"

So I reach for my pocket and...

"Slowly," he says. His gun is pointing at me but his eyes are on the bikers.

... take out the money asked and place them on the counter.

"Now get out! And don't show your faces around here again!" Ratchet says again.

We head for the door.

"Not in my bar, buddy!" he adds as one of the guys tries to move ahead to block our way, but Ratchet is pointing the gun at him so he freezes in place.

"None of you move until those two have been gone for 10 minutes. Then you pay your tab and leave. I don't want to see you lot here until you cool off and next time you are paying in advance for your drinks or you go ahead and find yourselves another bar to drink at," he finishes.

I think our barkeep was a smart fellow, who managed to get us out and keep favor with the bikers at the same time. To them it must've seemed like he genuinely wanted to protect his bar. Damn fine actor if you ask me.

I'm seriously considering hiring him to work for us. Discreet and able to easily handle humans are to valuable traits, especially when found in the same person.

As we were slowly driving away, we notice one of the bikes pull out to follow us, headlight off so we wouldn't spot him. Since that was exactly what we wanted, we continued to drive way under the speed limit.

Then I get Manny to drive through a nearby fast-food joint, where we grab something to eat, and then head off to a nearby parking lot to enjoy the food.

After about 15 minutes, we start hearing the sound of motorcycles closing in and we nod to each other.

We pretend to be busy with our late by-the-road dinner when a brick hits the rear window. By now all of them are behind us in a semi-circle so we get out to greet them.

Bob takes a couple of steps forward.

"Now who is going to protect you two ladies without your shotgun chaperon to watch over you?" he says with a wicked smile.

So Manny steps forward and smiles innocently at Bob:

"But it's not a fair fight!" Manny whines.

"Looks perfectly fine to me!" says Bob, anchoring a huge, stupid looking grin on his face.

*Author's Note

Many thanks for the reads, comments and votes (hopefully :D ).