Part 3

"Boss?" Sam knocked on the open door.

"Come!"

"Here is your tea and you have one meeting at 9:15 with Trenton Carruthers the CEO of Duluth Lumber and Woodstuffs. I tried to cancel or postpone it but he wouldn't budge, he said it was important and you would lose a lot of money if you didn't see him so I kept it in the program because it sounded important," Sam said in one breath.

"Sam, thanks for the tea and breathe. You are doing a fine. You did well. I do want to talk to him. Hmm, what's that?"

"Excuse me?" she asked.

"Where is your PDA and why are you using a tablet?" He asked her calmly.

"Well I found it on the desk this morning and my PDA was gone. Then the IT Department called and said tablet security has finally risen to company standards and I quote 'I'm sure the boss doesn't want this establishment to remain in the dark ages of technology, and if he has a problem he should talk to me' and then he hung up." Sam explained.

"He who?"

"He hung up before I got to ask him. I'm sorry!"

"It's OK, just next time be more sure of yourself, you have earned the right to be here and do what you do. You can just interrupt him, get his name and position and then let him say what he wants to."

"Got it. Thanks!" Sam smiled shyly.

"What's next?"

"Well I managed to postpone all the other items from today's schedule and..."

"Morning V... Johnathan." Karl corrected when he saw Sam was in the room.

"I was going to say Mr. Karl Hudson is about to show up." Sam continued, smiling widely at Karl.

"Thanks Sam, you may go, we will continue when Mr. Hudson here leaves."

"Of course, sir! Would you like some coffee or tea Mr. Hudson?"

"No, thank you Samantha, I won't be here long enough to properly enjoy a coffee." Karl responded.

Sam left after that and they headed for the private office.

"Close the door, please," Vincent said and took a seat close to the fireplace and nodded to Karl to take the next one.

"Looks like you have a fan, Karl. Tread carefully. I told you I want happy employees," he said with a knowing smile.

"You think?" Karl glanced towards the door. "I'll make sure she sees my wedding ring on the way out."

"Speaking of which, how did that thing with Samantha's past go?"

"Right. So I called Manny on Saturday evening and I asked him to come over so we can discuss it. He got to my apartment around 8 and we started talking. Things went a little bit crazy from there."

<<<Karl's recollection of the events:

Around 8 o'clock like I said I was home with the wife when the doorbell rang.

"Honey, get the door please, unless you want to finish loading up the dishwasher," my wife said.

"I got it, hon." I answered and went for the door.

"Hey man!"

*Author's Note

Many thanks for the reads, comments and votes (hopefully :D ).