Part 2

The profile on Cynthia said she was very loyal to her boss, and that meant she would tell him anything suspicious, a fact that he was actually counting on. Being as curious as ever, he leaned over to the side of his desk and flipped a switch, turning on the live sound feed from Cynthia's office:

Cynthia: "Robert, there is Mister Johnathan Gray on line 2 looking to speak with you. Something odd though, he knew my name but he asked to speak with someone named Peter at first, then he corrected and asked for you by name."

Robert Murner: "Are you sure he said Peter?"

Cynthia: "Yes."

Robert Murner: "And are you sure he said his last name was Gray?"

Cynthia: "Yes, boss!" And when she used boss, one could sense she was annoyed by his questioning.

Robert Murner: "Put him through and take the rest of the day off. Thanks Cynthia!"

Cynthia: "One of those calls, huh..." she said, her tone lower than before. He could hear her packing her things.

Robert Murner: "What was that?" That was where he pretended he didn't hear what she said.

Cynthia: "I said O.K., cya tomorrow!" She was a smart woman who knew when to drop it, not pushing for details but playing dumb instead. That and the fact that the rest of the day off meant shopping, and she really loved her shoes. Said so in her profile. All those facts were of course obvious to Robert, which made their business arrangement rather perfect.

Robert Murner: "Have a nice day Cynthia!" He said right before she closed the door.

Robert Murner: "Vincent?"

"Yes Peter, it's me. We need to talk." Vincent answered.

Robert Murner: "I was wondering when you were going to call. I would have called you but I didn't have your contact details after the last res. The usual place?"

"Sounds good. In two days?"

Robert Murner: "Yup! 11 o'clock? P.M. of course."

"Make it 11:40. I have a prior engagement."

Robert Murner: "Done."

And so the call was over. Pretty simple, one could think. Well, not really.

Why didn't Vincent just him on his cell phone directly? Peter hated cell phones with a passion. He was paranoid like that. Always afraid someone could be spying on him. In truth, he would be right. Anyway, Peter didn't have a cell phone in 1991, and Vincent didn't expect him to have one on Thursday when they were supposed to meet. I must remind myself to tease him about it. He thought to himself.

Why did he use a cell phone then? Because he was careful what he said and also because Vincent had his own people in key positions, supervising on all the other people (humans or not) who were designated to intercept his calls. Could he have had a secure line nobody was able to listen to? Yes, it was called telepathy. Not everyone had it developed though. Were you thinking encryption? Any code can eventually be cracked and a communication that is too encrypted would attract too much attention.

For THEM, Attention = Bad.

*Author's Note

Many thanks for the reads, comments and votes (hopefully :D ).

If you have ideas about the story, feel free to send them in a private message and they may be included in the future.

Disclaimer: Everyaspect of this story is entirely fictional. There is no truth to it whatsoever.Except for the names of course. Those are real. Really. Also this is the firsttotally fictional story I have written (this century at least).