Chapter 2

Luke was quiet and maybe a bit shy. He smacked me with that question even though he clearly knew the answer. He was a bit cheeky as well. Luckily, Mum called me back into the room we had first entered so that we could go back home.

Something about Luke was off though. Like he had trust issues or something. Maybe a bad past or stuff happening in his family. Maybe it was just him missing his dad.

I'm still not even sure I miss my dad. You'd think after 10 years, I would have made up my mind whether I miss him or not. Sometimes I wish he could come back even though I have no idea why he should.

I lie in bed wide awake. Not even music could help me fall asleep. I turned off the music, but I heard something else. It was music, but it wasn't coming from my headphones. I looked at the clock. It was 2:08 in the morning.

I got up and went to my window. The music was coming from The Hemmings' house. Right in the room across from mine. The window was open and Luke sat in his room, I presume, and strummed his guitar while quietly singing. I didn't know the song he was singing, but it was beautiful. Especially the way he sang it. His voice was low and when he sang high notes, they were quiet and raspy.

I sat and listened. I didn't want to say anything for fear of him stopping knowing someone was listening. I quietly opened my window so that I could hear better.

"What song is are you playing?" I finally broke in. His head swung up quickly. Fear struck his face.

"I didn't know you were listening." he said quietly, looking down and wiping his eyes. Had he been crying? No.

"I know. I'm sorry. It's late, aren't you tired?" I asked.

"Oh, I apologize. Did I wake you?" he asked me. I shook my head.

"What was that song?" I asked again. He turned his head up and smiled a bit.

"It's...uh. Lego House by Ed Sheeran. You don't know it?" he asked, setting his guitar out of sight.

"No. I guess it's not really the music I listen to. I'm more of a Sinatra fan, myself." I laughed.

"He's a legend." he admitted with a shrug. There was silence between us for a moment.

"So, what are you up so late for?" he finally asked. I wasn't going to tell him that I'd been thinking about him for most of the night.

"Um...well, just thinking. I can never fall asleep when I have something on the brain, you know?" I said

He nodded. "That's why I'm here. I always play my guitar when I can't sleep." he says. I wonder if he was thinking about me. My heart skips a beat at the thought, though I doubt it.

"You've got school in the morning, don't you?" I asked. He nodded.

"I'm a bit nervous. I'll be going to the private school in town. My mum mentioned something about you going as well?" he questioned.

"Yeah, it's not too bad. You shouldn't have to worry." I say. After another slightly awkward silence, Luke clears his throat.

"I really should get some sleep. Goodnight, Reina." he goes to close the window. "And please, don't tell anyone about me singing please. I don't like singing in front of people, and the thought of people finding out makes me very nervous.

"I won't. Goodnight, Luke." I close my window and get back in bed. I find that song that Luke was singing and put my head phones in. It's easier to fall asleep and I try to remember the words to the song as I start to dose off.

__________________________

I walk into the building and find my locker for the millionth time.

"Reina! Have you seen him?" my friend Olivia comes up from behind and I turn around quickly.

"Seen who?" I ask, holding my books.

"The new guy. He's in my dad's class. I think his name is Lucas or something. I just saw him a few minutes ago." she says. Olivia's dad was our maths teacher and she knew everything going on in the school. She wasn't the type to gossip, she just found out things.

"Yeah...he's actually my next door neighbor. I met him yesterday." I say.

"What's he like?" she asked, crossing her arms and leaning against my locker.

"Well...he's quiet. Like I said, I only met him yesterday." I think back to last night but I don't tell her about that.

"That's nice." she's not even paying attention to me. She looks past me. I turn around to see who she's looking at and it's Ashton Irwin. He was super attractive and Olivia had the biggest crush on him. He walked right up to us.

"Reina, Olivia, good morning." he nodded his head. "May I walk with you guys? Michael isn't here yet." he said, licking his lip. I already knew that Olivia was melting inside. Ashton was sweet, but he got into trouble at times. My mum most definitely would not approve.

"Of course." Olivia answered for me. I shook my head smiling as we walked down the hall.

When we get to home room, Michael is already here. He changes his hair color so often, sometimes it's hard for me to point him out. I don't hang out with him, but Olivia tries to so she can get closer to Ashton.

The class passes quickly and we head to maths. Luke is in this class. I walk alone this time and switch out my books in my locker and walk to maths.

I'm one of the first ones here. The others walk in, but I still don't see Luke. Olivia's dad starts teaching and I start to worry. Finally, Luke comes through the door. There's something different about him. His face is fallen and his eyes are a bit red.

"Lucas Hemmings, try to be on time, please. Class, this is Lucas. He just moved here from Australia. Ok, moving on!" he says. Luke takes a seat in the far corner. Nobody says anything to him. A few glances and a bit of whisper, but that's it.

I hope people like him.

At lunch, I sit in my usual spot next to Olivia. When I see Luke, he sits alone. Of course. I sigh and ask Olivia if he can come over.

"But, Ashton and Michael are coming." she says, looking away from her phone. It gets annoying with how much she talks about Ashton Irwin.

I take my food and sit with him. "Have you talked to anyone yet?" I ask. He shakes his head. "I don't want to. People don't like me. I've heard them...talking about the bags under my eyes. They think I smoke pot." he keeps his voice low. My heart drops.

"It's only your first day. You'll make friends." I say. He shakes his head. "They're avoiding me already."

"Why were you late to maths?" I asked. He shrugs. He must not want to tell me. Maybe he got in a fight or something. He doesn't look like the type to start a fight, and he doesn't have any bruises as far as I can see.

I take his plate of food and my own and dump it in the trash. I'm not hungry anymore.

A/N

Ok, so I know it's kind of dragging and boring but I don't want to rush it. What do you think about adding the other members to the story? Calum will come later, I promise!

Love you guys! Thanks and please leave feedback!

My new Instagram is @fivesexualsofsummer because my old one was sadly deleted by Instagram.

I will update soon! Love love love