Chapter 40

"Mommy, tell me a story."

Hollis lie gently in my lap, breathing softly. Every night I would tell her a story before she fell asleep in my arms. Her short blonde hair fanned out across my chest, and her hands on either side of me.

"Which story?" I asked her, knowing which one she'd ask for.

"The one about him."

The story of a boy that changed my life, but to Hollis, remained nameless. She would never know the true story of him that I loved. She would only see him as a fictional character, a story.

"Okay, but you can't talk until I'm done."

She had a way of interrupting the story and changing it how she wanted it to be told. Not this time.

I remember the day that I England. The day that I left him. His story got easier to tell as I repeated it to my daughter almost every night. The pain had seemed to fade and I started to smile, thinking of the happy moments that would be no more.

The candle burning next to me flickered, causing the flame to reflect against the ring on my fourth finger. I was married to Calum, after many years. He had been with me in my worst hours and Hollis' birth, five years ago.

"Yes, mum." she agreed.

"Alright. Many years ago, there was him. He was handsome and tall  and at first seemed mysterious. I remember the day that I saw him, his cold blue eyes seemed to be the brightest color amidst the grey and orange autumn. One day, he asked me if I wanted to go on an adventure. An adventure like nothing before. I was scared of what may happen on that adventure, but I took the risk. When it was dark and everyone was sleeping, we went on an adventure. The wind blew through my hair and my heart raced like nothing before. The adventure was scary and exciting all at once. Secrets can ruin things, Hollis. One morning I found out that someone else would be joining our adventure, someone.. small. Now he wasn't too sure about this small person and ran away because he was scared. I couldn't believe that this beautiful mysterious hero, was scared. I cried because he left and I was alone. Then, he came back. I don't think I was ever so happy to see him. Remember what I said about secrets? Well, our adventure ended when we both realized that we had secrets and we could no longer trust each other. So I left. But then I felt something. Something terrible. A broken heart. A broken heart that could only be healed by the one who broke it. So I went on my own adventure to find him and then we lived happily ever after. The end." I finished.

Hollis was asleep. I picked her up and carried her to her room, kissing her head and covering her with her blanket. "Sleep well, angel."

Thought Hollis was blind, that didn't get in the way of her imagination and love for music. Just like him.

I wish that I could say that the story's ending was true. But it's not.

Five years ago, Luke Hemmings died in a car accident.

The day that I left, he came after me. Little did I know that when the plane landed in Ireland, the boy I loved had been killed instantly. I was numb until the day that Hollis was born. She brought a new light into my life. She was a constant reminder of something that I lost, something that I once had.

I see her every day and know that she is his. Anyone could see it. She doesn't know about him and I may not tell her. She was happy and I would never change that. She believed my story.

In the end, we were both too scared to admit that we really did love each other and that it was ended us. If I told him that I loved him, he would still be here today. If he told me, I would have stayed.

I guess you could say that we were Skinny Love's

And that was the end

My eyes open suddenly. I am not in my bed, nor am I at home.

I am in the car.

Calum sits next to me, sleeping. That couldn't have been a dream. It felt so real.

"Stop the car! Stop the car now!" I yell, out of breath and sweating. "Reina, what is it?" John pulls over on the side of the road. "I have to go back. I can't.. I can't let that happen." my hands are shaking.

"Let what happen?" my mum asks.

I get out of the car as fast as I can and run back. I can't let him die. I can't let my dream come true. I hear Calum behind me, but I keep running. "Luke!" I yell. There is no answer.

"Reina, he isn't here! You were dreaming!" Calum shouts.

"I know! I have to go back to him. I have to!" I don't look behind me. I just keep running, breathless. I fall into the grass, almost passing out. "I have to.. find him. I have to." What if I am too late? The dream couldn't have been just a dream.

A car pulls over on the side of the road. "Reina!" I look up, but there is no one.

"Reina!" the voice calls again, behind me. I turn around and see him standing there.

"Luke!" I stand up quickly, not believing my eyes. I run to him. He catches me in his open arms. "Reina, I couldn't let you go. When I saw the car and you were gone, I knew that I had made a mistake. I'm so sorry." he holds my face, his thumb grazing my burning cheeks. My heart was beating rapidly.

"I fell asleep in the car and dreamt that you were killed. It scared me, Luke. I was scared that you were dead." tears fill my eyes and I hold onto Luke. I thought I lost him. "I love you. I should have said it back there, but I didn't." I tell him.

"I love you too. Don't ever leave me. Do you promise?" he asks me.

"I promise."

Maybe someday I would tell the story to Hollis

But this time.

It'd have a happy ending.

A/N

THE END

OMG ALSD;KJFALKSDJF;LKASJDF;LKJASD;LKFJAS;KLDJFA;KSJDF

SO GUYS I HAVE TO GO BUT I IWLL POST A BETTER GOODBYE